How do you feel about methadone adult content

First,pleasedon't judge me. i've been on methadone for almost 20yrs.now.& if I never got on it,I would probably be dead.I'm just curious if anybody that you know or are on it has helped.There are some that say you are only exchanging one drug for another.Which is farther from the truth.

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 5:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Health

• I so sorry you had an horrible addiction and had to turn to that to help... I have never met anyone that it has helped eventaully they got loaded on heroine again and were back in prison.. It was sooo sad and horrible to see these people go through something so hard... I know of 1 person who got clean from it all, he is an ex.. 5 years off all of it and has persued his life long dream of becoming an actor (have yet to see him in a movie) buttt has been in commercials..
    I wish you the very best and hope you have some positive support, who cares what others think and say.. you know who you are and thats all that matters!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My boyfriend and a few of his friends were using it when they shouldn't have been. My boyfriend being so thin, it killed him. That's all I have to say about it. If you don't need it, don't touch it. If you do, then there ya go. As long as it's not used as a toy. He never told me he was using it bc he knew I wouldn't approve. I found out after he was dead. I flipped out on a friend when she said she used it once. It scares me.
    Mommy2Max217

Answer by Mommy2Max217 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My DH is a recovering addict... He is NOT on methadone, but I know many who are. I see it very simply. IF you are using the Methadone in the way it's meant to be and not to get high in addition to other drugs I don't see it as any different from any other medication... IF you are looking for some other options, talk to your doctor about Suboxone. It's not as addictive as Methadone and is easier to detox from in the end. My DH has been on and off of it for 3+ years now and it's been a great help to keeping him level and clean.

I give you the props for identifying your habit and taking the steps to rid yourself of it... But I would think that after 20 years it may be time for the next step...

Anyways, I'm not the type to label in the first place, but I tend to see Methadone use as the first steps to end a problem - which is always a positive!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• From what I understand is it is helping the person stay away from the drug that addicts the body. If it is needed than I hope that the person sticks with it.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have a feeling that i will be put on methadone.Not because I am addicted to anything but to help with my daily head to toe pain.Mostly in my lower back.I have a lot of back issues along with having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,with causes me a lot of pain. I am 30 mg instant release Oxycontin,I take 1-2 four X day and I take 80 mg extended release oxy twice daily. They are starting to not work on pain anymore. I do not get high at all on my meds,honest to God I don't see how people get hooked on it. I have never tried Methadone.Doesn't it wok better for pain then Oxy?

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• my mom takes is everyday b/c of a car accident she had 18 years ago! she was in a hit and run at over 40 miles an hour! broke her back, hip, right arm, left leg, cracked her head open and took over half the skin off her back! she wasnt wearing a seat belt and flew out of the car! doc's told my dad to start planning a funeral because she prolly wont make it! well my mom did live and she can walk and is pretty much a normal person. but she is on oxy-cotton all day and takes methadone as well! without these pills she couldnt make it threw the day! the doc has tried to wean her off them slowly but the pain is still there. my mom will be on them the rest of her life! it is hard to come off these pills and u have been on it so long that u prolly never will as well! im sorry for u but its wat u need to do to make it day to day! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i have saw alot of ppl lose their minds on methadone..and alot that needed the methadone..so if it helps go for it...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• ok, I always thought that methadone was used to wean off the effects of hard illegal drugs...so why are you still using it ?
    I would think 20 years was a bit extreme....perhaps you need to taper off the methadone and truly detoxify your body....cant imagine your liver is in very good shape.....sorry if that sounds harsh, I used to work in a GP's office and we saw our share of doctor shoppers scratching for their percocets,oxycotin,demerol,soma,etc.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 1:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm not on methadone to get high.I've been on it this long because it works for me.Have youever heard the expression " If it's not broken,then don't fix it?they also use methadone as a medication for pain.Who knows,maybe I will get off of it someday.But for right now,I'm doing what is best for me.&...PERHAPS you should do some research before you tell me what I need to do.Thanks for being so concerned about my liver.& PERHAPS you should do some research on The liver.If your liver is not too bad,then the liver will rejuvenate its'self.
    bvannkissy

Comment by bvannkissy (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2010