Cloth Diapers?

What are the best and worse kinds of cloth diapers? Are they a pain to clean or pretty easy? What brand would you suggest using? Should I purchase new or used ones? This is my last baby and I think he is allergic to disposable diapers so I was considering trying cloth diapers but I don't want to invest a ton of money being that he is my last and they won't be used again. Any tips or suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I really like both the bum genius 3.0 and the fuzzi bunz. They come in an adjustable one size fits all. They go on like a disposable, then you just pull out the soaker and toss it into the wash! Go to http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=98 you will also find lots of good info on that site about how to wash them etc.

I have seen someone mention another site that sells ones that look like bum genius and fuzzi bunz for about half the price. I haven't tried them but they look good: http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/8-36lbsHeavyDuty621.htm

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have been asking these same questions. I love disposable diapers, but they are so pricey & far from "green" so I want to do cloth with this one, but all I keep getting are mixed answers... No one will give me any honest answers about which ones are best... They seem so complicated I may just stick with disposable! Good luck getting your answers!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Well it depends on your baby really. The fitted ones that I liked for my first I hated for my second. I mostly stuck with prefolds and good fitting covers though. That is the cheapest route and you can find nice used covers most the time whereas I am not sure I like the idea of used diapers on my kids.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I LOVE CLOTH!!!! i use fuzzi bunz with my son when you buy them it seems expensive up front but you are actually saving sooo much money and there are also cloth whipes so you dont have to buy those either my autn used to own a store called cottontailbaby.com and i worked there b4 i got prego so i knew all about em check out the website sooo many to chose from!!!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• if you have any ? about them i would love to help you :D
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• the BEST ones are the ones you and your baby like. We use a bunch of different kinds, Happy Hainies, Fuzzy Bunz , Bum genies, home made, swaddlebees...... I would start by buying used, Check out www.diaperswappers.com and just get a few that look good to you.
    We wash two loads for ours, both hot the first with a little bit of ecos soap. the 2nd load is to make sure all the soap is out ( if you don't get all the soap out it could have a reaction with the pee and cause rashes). Toss in the dryer or line dry and you are good to go.
    I LOVE pockets. You get a cover and an insert and you stuff it as much as you need. All In Ones and All In Twos are awesome for over nights and road trips. I used fitted and covers when the kids where newborns. It's all about what works best for you. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i JUST started using cloth diapers. I went to a consignment shop and they only had gdiapers so i figured for $10 id give it a shot. Well... Gdiapers have throw away pads that go in them so they arent any different the a normal diaper. I am just using the cover and putting prefolds in them. I would HIGHLY recomend if you choose to do prefolds, get snappies i think they are called? Its a way to pin them without using a safty pin. Good luck! The cloth diaper world is very confusing!
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 7:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I used them on my daughter 28 years a go and I liked them. Now days they are so really different and you have all kinds of covers not just plain rubber pants.. I have a grand daughter that wears them 90% of the time. Her and her mommy love them.
    www.diaperchangediapers.com
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• We use prefolds with Thirsties covers around the house. Prefolds are cheap, dry easily, and once you get the hang of it, they are easy to use. We used to use disposables when out and about but after poo blowout after blowout, I nixed that after about three months. I then bought two each of three different pocket diapers to try out. Fuzzi Bunz, Bum Genius, and then from a WAHM. Then I slowly just bought more of the pockets that I liked best and now we have 12 pocket diapers and use those when out and about and sometimes in the middle of the night when I'm feeling lazy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It is a matter of preference, but in general the Cheapest and easiest to launder and fastest drying are old fashioned flats or prefolds with snappi/or pins and covers. Flats need to be folded, prefolds are a little easier. Flats are one size fits all, prefolds you may need 1-3 sizes depending on size of child, how long you use them, and how you use them. As a general rule, natural fiber is easier to maintain and lasts longer than synthetics. If you want "disposable" shapes then there are fitteds (need covers, but shaped like a disposable). Some prefer all in ones (one piece most like a disposable but take longest to dry), others prefer pockets (need stuffing to customize absorbancy). even those who use All in Ones will have a few fitteds or prefolds/flats as part of their diapering system. It's all in what you want I wanted cheap, easy, and economical as I also was doing eliminationCommication.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010