how old is too old to...?

how old you think it's too old to get pregnant,, not only in terms of the ability to get pregnant, also in terms of the age difference between you and your children and how much would you be there for them when they grow up...?

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 5:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I feel like it's best to have children before your mid thirties. I think there is a big push for women to work and get established first before having kids, but now there are lots of women in their mid to late 40's having their first child. To me, this seems selfish. With the risks invovled for birth defects and health problems for the mother, it seems like a smarter choice to no wait so long. Especially with the risk for Down's Syndrome and fact that it increases almost every year after age 30. Not only that, but older women cheat themselves out of the option of having more than one child if they wait too long. But then again, if a woman isn't prepared to have a baby or doesn't want one, it doesn't matter what her age is. She shouldn't get pregnant just to avoid waiting too long. So to each her own, I guess.
    Miss_cecilia

Answer by Miss_cecilia at 6:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i think mid to late thirties are the new age to become pregnant.
    i think if you check it out with a doctor and are positive you are good to go, then it is your choice when and how old you should be! :)
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 5:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Personally, I'm 27 and I'm pregnant, and I think I'm too old. I wanted to have my tubes tied years ago. I am having them done in Jan. I feel any time after 30 is just to old! The younger the better IMO! My family is full of both young and "old" moms, and I have seen the struggles both face, but those who are younger have a better chance of being healthy both physically and mentally longer through the childs life as well as they have a better chance at remembering what it was like to be a child and treat them with a greater respect and more compassion...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My last was born at the age of 35 and I feel a little guilty and sad that I won't be around for her as long as I will be for my other two, born when I was 21 and 28.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• hum i would say 35-36
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would think past 40.....
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• you can't really put an age on good mothering, girls...physically, maybe. risks, eh... i'll be excited to know that all of you have made it to the ripe old age of 90, and nothing 'unplanned' happens to leave your children 'motherless'.
    its downright arrogant to say a woman can't have a child because of her age (notwithstanding known health issues)..none of you are quaranteed life past this year, y'know?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think it is such a personal decision that may change with time and as you age. For me it is now. I'm 42 and my "baby" is 5 and entering kindergarten. I don't want to start all over again. I did that once, it was enough.

That being said, my DH was born when he father was 42. FIL was always the grandparent who was on the floor playing with the grandkids from when the oldest was born 25 yrs ago to 5 yrs ago when my little one was born. When he could no long get onto the floor he would read to them and just be silly.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think a women is pushing it at the age of 35 to 40. Having kids over 40 is wrong to me. JMO.

Answer by louise2 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• past 40 is to old!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2010