Canning tomatoes, I need help!! Please!

I just got finished canning some tomatoes. It's the first time I've done it and not sure I did them correctly. I used the pressure cooker method. I just took them out of the pressure cooker and there is a bunch of water ( or appears to be water) in each of the jars. The only liquid I put in the jars was lemon juice as the recipe stated. Do you think this was the liquid from the pressure cooker or is it just the tomatoes breaking down and the lemon juice? I'm wondering if maybe I didn't tighten the lids enough. I'm going to be very upset if I have to throw all these away! LOL Any help would be appreciated!!

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The liquid you see was cooked out of the tomatoes. They'll be fine to eat. Make sure the jars have sealed, and if they don't you can put them in the fridge and use them later.

Tomatoes need to be canned using the water bath method; pressure canning is not needed unless you add low acid veggies to the tomatoes. Prepare them the same way you did today, put them in your canner and cover them with hot water. Bring it to a boil, and boil them 35 minutes for pints, 45 minutes for quarts. When the time is done, remove carefully to an area away from from drafts and let cool. They will pop as they seal.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Wish I had an answer for you. I've never canned anything and have always wanted to try it out. But I do know that when I've seen friend's canned tomatoes they are always full of liquid, just not sure how fast the liquid starts to get pulled out of the tomatoes. Good luck!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thanks for answering! I'm hoping I don't have to throw them out!
    Sue41

Comment by Sue41 (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• They are probably fine. I don't pressure can tomatoes. I do them in a water bath canner. But tomatoes will separate with the heavier content going to the bottom of the jars and the top part will be watery looking. If you get a good tight seal, then you should not worry about them keeping. You really won't know that for 24 hours or at least until the jars and contents have completely cooled. Just leave them be for now.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When canning tomatoes you will have water in them as they cook and break down they will be fine especially if the lids were tight when you put them on. Good Luck!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Water will come out of the tomatoes as they are cooked...don't worry... tomatoes are soooo easy to can...you really don't even have to use the pressure cooker to do them...all you really had to do was sterilize the jars and lids then just scald the tomatoes so the skins come off...then you want to core them....I put all the tomatoes in a pot and bring them to a boil with a little lemon juice....then put the boiling hot tomatoes into the hot sterilized jars.They seal themselves....when you hear that pop ...you know they are sealed.....after they are cooled down real good...if you take your finger to the center of the lid...you can test it to see if it sealed....just push down in the middle and if it wiggles...moves up and down...it didn't seal and you need to eat them right aways...put them in the refrig. if it doesn't move then it sealed good.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2010