Bought a breastpump used now what should I do?

I bought a used medela pump in style and replaced tubes/cups/membranes and all that stuff, I used it a few times now I read how it is an open system and I should not have bought one used. I feel awful and I an not sure what to do, obviously I not using it anymore but I already did! What should I do as far as my baby do I need to get her tested to make sure everything is ok (no contamination to her). Please don't critisize I feel awful already, just need opions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, if you've already used it I see no reason to continue, if there was anything in it your baby has already been exposed
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Don't panic relax. It sounds like you may be making too much out of this. Just use your wrist or palm of one hand and the other hand squeeze the breast firmly, not too hard, and make it hit into a bottle any size or transfer from a larger funnel even if you have one of those, this way it will funnel right into the bottle or whatever.

good luck
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 6:15 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• *no reason not to continue using it
    Ugh stupid keyboard
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Babies make immunities. Really easily.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 6:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i have never heard of an open system...hmm i bought one used too and now you have me to wondering and my baby was in the nicu..thats great i thought all medelas were closed off where nothing transfered it just pumped the milk and it dropped directly into the bottle...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The only thing you have to replace on breast pumps is the plastic tubing, membranes, and cups. The breast pump uses air to create a vacuum and the tubing is designed to prevent any flow into the pump. It is perfectly safe to buy a used pump. Do you think the hospitals use new pumps for each mom, nope just the plastic pieces.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• amandajoy you are incorrect. The pumps they use at the hospital are "closed system" pumps. The OP is right about the PNS being an "open system" pump. Although, theoretically your baby *could* be exposed to a virus or bacteria from the previous user, there has never been a confirmed case of a baby getting sick from a used pump. Most germs won't survive for very long without a a host.
    I say don't worry about it and keep using the pump.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• A good explanation on this (open vs closed etc) at this article: Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option? Issues to Consider

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• There has been no reported case of any baby "catching" any infection from a breast pump. The pump companies tell you that so you will buy new pumps. They say there is a chance one of the rare germs that can be passed by milk could somehow get in the tubing, some how make into the pump, somehow survive until you bought it and used it, the bacteria made it out of the pump, down the tubing, and then somehow got into the milk in a large enough amount to make a baby sick. Human milk has white blood cells and other things that would attack the germs in the milk.

There are moms that have HIV and nurse their baby for over a year in Africa and the baby never gets it. I have no problems with selling used pumps.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• You're fine honey, AND you just saved yourself a ton of money! I LOVE my Medela.... I bought mine NEW for almost $300 but, considering I've saved a grand or two on nasty formula--- I say, GREAT INVESTMENT!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2010