Should I let my first year middle school son try out for the tackle football team knowing what I know?

My son has many talents...football is not one of them. He has refused go to practice, he has no idea of the skill level needed and last he is the smallest one in his whole class. I am terrified he will be humiliated and start middle school on the wrong foot. He feels he was unpopular in elementary school and this will be his way to popularity. This is the only reason he wants to play. Any one have some advise for me? Thx :-)

wingingit25

Asked by wingingit25 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Let him try. You should tell him that he needs to practice prior to tryouts, and that he may not make it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Let him try out but make him do practices before tell him he wont practice then he cant try out
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 6:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yes i would most def let him try..bc if he fails then he will know to pick another task to sucess...middle school is a tough time for most boys starting puberty etc and they are not quite sure about themselves and starting to show alot of interest in girls...good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Is their any other sports or activities he is good at like baseball, basketball, or any thing else the school offers? Even if he doesn't play football he could still be a "jock" with a different sport. I think it would be worse for his self esteem if he were to try out and fail because he is already having self esteem issues, but if you do decide to let him try out tell him the conditions are that he will practice so he can improve his game. Does your community have any summer camps for football where he could learn some of the skills he will need?
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If he wants to do it, I'd let him try. But I'd make it clear that he would be attending every practice - size really doesn't mean as much at this age, my 12 yo plays tackle (he has since he was 6) and there have always been some kids who were way smaller and some who were way bigger. That's one of the great things about football is that there is room on the team for all sizes - he just won't end up playing O or D line, he'll probably be a running back, receiver, slot back or something like that.

The biggest thing though is that football is a very practice heavy sport and in order to be fair to himself and his team mates he will need to attend all practices. Obviously there are times he might miss (illness, injury, other commitments) he'll miss out on a lot of conditioning and skill development if he misses a lot of practices, and some teams/coaches have rules about missed practices and playing time.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Let him try it out, if he is no good he won't be picked for a team, and this will be the end of that.

Answer by older at 7:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Has he ever been on any kind of team?

He doesn't sound mature for his age ... sounds like he wants the glory without putting in any effort. My son started playing football in junior high and no matter how tired he was, he always went to practice because the thought of letting his coaches and teammates down was just not an option for him.

If you let him go for it and he did poorly, do you think he'd learn a valuable life lesson in that doing things for the wrong reason (to be popular, in this case) is never a good idea ... or would he just not "get it"? If he does well (though I don't see how if he isn't willing to put in the time), he may learn more than just football skills ... how to be part of something bigger than himself or that things worth doing require hard work.

Touch call but you know him best; personally, I wouldn't let him do it unless he were willing to give 100%.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 26, 2010

• Thank you for all the great advise, you ladies are a very savvy. I am very pleased to have found this site and look forward hearing more

great advise...and hopfully giving a little here and there.
    Sooo today is try outs. If I had it to do again I would have made him practice instead of encouraging him to practice in order to try out...great idea thanks! It was too late for that so I talked to him about how I believe he could make the team if he had practiced. He knows the chances are slim but still wants to try. I let him know I was proud of him for trying. So wish us luck. I will report back. Thanks for all your support! Winging it
    wingingit25

Comment by wingingit25 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2010