I have never read the bible...

I already have been advised to get a study bible because I don't have the ability to understand the way it is written. But what should I consider in buying a bible, who it's made by?
And if my family follows the new king james version, should I find a certain author?

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 6:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can check out this site for several of the popular versions. You can click on the one you want and look up any scripture from there.

The King James version is generally considered a "hard to understand" version. I like the New Living Translation for myself and it has a great Study Bible. It's called the "Life Application Study Bible" and actually comes in different versions but again *I* like the New Living!

The New Century Bible is considered very easy to read. You can check it out here. I don't think they have an actual "study" Bible though. Personally I don't think you would need one if you get this translation.

I hope you find what you're looking for! I used to work in a Christian bookstore - pm me if you want to!

firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Really, they are all authored by the same people - it's just that some translations are easier to understand. I would say find one that's plain English... Rather than the King James with all it's Thee's and Thou's and old English...

Go to BibleGateway.com and take a look through some different versions. See which ones you are comfortable reading through and can easily understand, before you buy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I love the New American Standard. It is very easy to read and quite close to the original Greek and Hebrew.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have a king james bible.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 6:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The study Bible that my MIL has is written in the New King James Version, but they translated the text so that it's easier to comprehend. The one she has is called The Nelson Study Bible. Every page has footnotes that go into further detail about the events that occured.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i have always saw the king james version so im guessing theres nothing wrong with it...i cant follow alot thats written in the bible either.. but just because i cant read, understand and study it does not mean in any way that i still dont believe....good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:43 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have a King James and a New American Standard. I also have a New International Version Rainbow Study Bible, which I would recommend along with any of the others.

Agree with Sabrina. Biblegateway.com is a great resource!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Biblegateway.com is excellent. It's easy to search and has many different versions so you can compare them. For pure poetry, nothing beats the KJV; I prefer the New International Version if I want to know what something means.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i love NIV
    christina10140

Answer by christina10140 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010