Help!

My kitchen sink is two sided. My landlord creeps me out and dh is at work. The one side of the sink just backed up, and there are occasional gurgling noises. I was not running the water when the water backed up.

The gurgling subsides if I run water in the sink that's not backed up.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 6:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Lovin ~ Look under the sink. Is it the side that drains straight down or the side that has a horizontal connection to the main pipe? I would first put water in the sink and plunge for a good 5 minutes and see if it goes down. When you say "landlord" ~ do you live in an apartment? I ask this because this actually happened to me once many years ago when someone who lived in my building had clogged up the main drain pipe and it backed up into MY sink. If that is the case it may need to be snaked! :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Did you turn the disposal on? Something may be stuck, not allowing water to properly drain. Is their water standing, or very slowly draining?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Have you tried plunging it? I would when it is running freely add some vinegar and baking soda in there and then let that set follow by extremely hot wtaer and do this often like once a week to keep it running smoothly. Hope you get your problem fixed it might have to be snaked out if there is a build up. Pour Drano down it if you have theat not that I like that but it mught cut the clog. Good Luck
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• no disposal, and the water appears to be standing. No one was using water when this started coming up like some gross horror movie
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would really try plunging it then if that don't work go and get some drano you could also try and take off the elbow and drain the water into a bucket and then do all of the above that I suggested.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Plunger and if that doesn't work, drano, and if that doesn't work...phone the super and a friend to be there when the super is there.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That's weird that it came up out of nowhere..... did you figure out what it was??
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Seems to be my answer for a lot of post but after you plunge the drain and it goes down....pour baking soda down the drain and then vinegar then run warm/hot water down the drain....(or you can do Drano)
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• seems like you have a ton of answers, but you have to figure out what and where it's coming from... here's a bump!
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:19 AM on Jul. 27, 2010