Anyone who's had a last-trimester cervical check, please help - Speculum??

OK OK OK I'm getting kind of antsy in my pants. 3 1/2 years ago I had my son. At the end of pregnancy, when the CNM started doing cervical exams. She used a speculum to look at my cervix, after that she went in there with her fingers to check dilation and squish on my uterus from inside & out. Is this normal?? Anyone else ever had a speculum used on them in late pregnancy?? I did not know at the time and just brought it up in my DDG today and everyone's saying that's not normal. I didn't think *everyone* had it done but has ANYONE ELSE had it done???? BTW this is also the CNM that did a vaginal exam that hurt so bad I yelped, and 2 days later I had my baby.

SillyJessi

Asked by SillyJessi at 6:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine never did.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:28 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• the only exam during my pregnancy that they used a speculum was the first visit when they look at your cervix (it turns blue when pregnant) and after that it was only a check with fingers.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• You don't "have" to get the exam at all.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:32 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

Ditto this...
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 6:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I know this now, unfortunately I didn't know it then. Good point, thank you.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone else has had a speculum used on them - I take it you've always refused exams texasCM? or if you've had any - did they use a speculum??
    SillyJessi

Comment by SillyJessi (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I can see why they used the speculum as you can see if the os (opening) is open from there. She then may have used her hands to see how high your uterus was and how "soft" your cervix was and possibly if it was thinning. The only time I had the speculum outside my first appointments is when I was bleeding and went to the ER. The first thing they did was pull out that speculum to see if my os was opening... then they went to the ultrasound.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 6:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My OB used one on me. It was weird. I was 35 weeks?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:53 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• With my pregnancies I never had any checks, not normal to do it at all.
    ;-)

But I have been with others that got checked without the speculum.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When you yelped are you sure she didn't rip your membranes? I think that is what it is called.. it makes labor start sometimes.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 7:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My midwife used what I think you're talking about to swab my cervix or whatever to check for std's. So if you know you're negative there is no need to rub that awful stuff in the baby's eyes. She did it just to look though? That's weird?
    Mommy180

Answer by Mommy180 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010