I am thinking of giving birth all natural, is this a good decision?

I have researched epidurals and it just doesn't seem like it's for me and I want to do the healthiest safest thing for my baby.

mamadismay

Asked by mamadismay at 6:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think its a GREAT decision!!! and for all the mommys that did it congrats i tried but was not able to hanndle it good luck :D and congats mommy!!!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If you think you can handle it, then I say go for it! Myself, I had the epidurals and wouldn't do it without them.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I'd say go for it if you feel that that is what's best for you and you baby...congrats:)
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 7:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• if you are confident in your decision you will be more likely to follow through. i'm trying this time and am more confident. last time i was unsure and i ended up getting one. i might just ask them to show me the needle first this time. lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Thank you all, that's very helpful.
    mamadismay

Comment by mamadismay (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Absolutely! I have had 3 NCB experiences- the first when I was 16. You would be surprised what your body can handle, you just have to be mentally prepared. Get as much info as you possibly can, and labor at home as long as you feel comfortable (the longest I spent in a hospital pre birth was less than 2 hours- and the 3rd baby was born @ a free standing birth center).

Go for it! There is NO such thing as a "Safe" intervention.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I delivered drug free; there are so many risks from epidurals, there is not way I would have had one.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Absolutely. Do it. I had 2 epidural doses, because the first one didnt take and I was terrified of the unknown. Turns out the second one didnt take either, so I put all those drugs in my system for no reason at all, and still felt everything during delivery. Finding out after the fact, that I really could do it, was amazing. Next one is going to be drug free.
    Make sure you take a natural childbirting class. The birthing class I went to didnt get into a lot of it because all the women there were planning on getting epidurals. I wish I had been better prepared.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• By all means go for it. It's just nice to know it's there as an option should it turn out to be more than you can handle. You don't HAVE to use it. Good luck!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Personally the idea of a huge needle in my spine scares me more than the pain. I had 2 babies drug free. I think it's a great idea, but if you end up getting one don't feel bad about it.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010