single mom and dads rights

as a single mom, with a newborn how much would u let ur baby see her dad?? is it wrong to feel like i want him to only see her the smallest amount that that i could get a judge to agree with ?

miss_nevin

Asked by miss_nevin at 7:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• How would you feel if he felt the same way? I'm not bashing or even saying you are wrong but keep in mind he's got the same rights as you do.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• In most states, if you were never married, he has no rights until he goes to court to establish them.

Though, I will say this. IF he is a generally good person, and will not harm your child, then he needs to have as much involvement as possible. My 9 year old DD does not know her father, he abandoned us when she was an infant- and it has been devestating, the impact it has on her.
    Every child has a right to their father.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It depends on if you have a reason to feel this way or if it's just because you are mad at him. If you have a reason such as he does drugs or spends all his time drunk, then sure that's reasonable. If you're doing this just because you are mad at him because he's not with you it's wrong.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• ok here is what i think if u have a substantial reason for it like drugs alcohol etc then it is very understandable but if u are just mad at him or just dont want him around that much then it is not right i am a single mother of 3 beautiful kids my son 7 has seen his sperm donor 2 times in his life and it is not easy for him and my daughter 4 has seen her sperm donor once at like 1 month so she doesnot know him at all or remember seing him and he is incarcerated and that is all she knows and it is hard for her also and my daughter 2 her sperm donor feels he can come around and call whenever he pleases and that is very hard for her seeing as she will begin to build a bond then he doesnt come around for a month or so so if he wants to se the child and there is nothing wrong with him then i say let him it would be better for the child
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 7:20 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think you are completely selfish. Your child's father is entitled to bond with his child just as you are.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:42 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think it really depends on what kind of father he is. If he is a good father, he deserves to have a chance to bond with his child, and the child with father. If he's a deadbeat, then you're absolutely correct.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Even deadbeats have rights. Dad should be allowed to bond with his child. Don't let your personal feelings get in the way of his relationship with his child. Remember, if you try to keep the child from him, he could take you to court for joint visitation.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I feel this way cause I know he smoeks weed and cause I let him have her and he threaten to not bring her back
    miss_nevin

Comment by miss_nevin (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2010