AT WHAT AGE WAS IT SUGGESTED TO GET A DIAG. FOR AUTISM

I heard its best not to get a diag. too soon because you need to wait because as the child gets older things change so the diag may not be too accurate if you get it say 2 or 3 versus 5 or 6

momoftwokids547

Asked by momoftwokids547 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son was 3 when we found out and 4 when we found out he has adhd
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• the earlier the better but to early might not be accurate my brother showed signs at about 3 but they did not diagnose till like 6 or so i think
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 7:25 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The sooner you know the sooner you can start therapies. My first was dx'ed at 18 months, my second at four, and the third about 2 and a half. Yes the diagnosis can change as they get older, but the earlier you find out the more help they can get.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• The sooner the better. As 2autisticsmom said. It can change, but you want to get as much help as possible as early as possible. My son was 4 when he got the official Dx, but we knew a year before that. It just wound up taking that long to get the offical Dx.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• is the only way the insurance company will accept a claim for therapy is if i have the official dx? im thinking yes
    momoftwokids547

Comment by momoftwokids547 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yes, you need the diagnosis to get therapeutic services. BUT you can have your child evaluated through your state's Early Intervention program and/or Intermediate Unit (or equivalent) and they will work with your child on preschool skills while addressing his developmental issues/delays, all for FREE--including round trip, door-to-door transportation! They will then help with the transition to Kindergarten and elementary school.

Both of my children have autism and were diagnosed at ages 2 and 3 1/2. My now 8 1/2 year old is entering 3rd grade in the fall and is no longer in Autistic support, but a 100% regular education classroom, he went from being diagnosed with mild autism, to PDD-NOS last year. My now 6 1/2 year old is seemingly following in his footsteps! His speech is still somewhat delayed, but his intelligence is very high. I have high hopes for both of my children. The earlier you start the better the outcome!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2010