PLEASE HELP! BREAST FEEDING CAUSE A RASH IN A NB?

My 4 week old has a red rash ALL over her body- She is VERY fussy and gassy... I Breast Feed her... Could this be the cause? Did I eat something that she cant handle??? She is deff. not feeling well and hasnt for the past day or so- The rash just showed up about 2 hours ago...

Please help!!

~Worried Mommy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What does the rash look like? little pimples? Raised? pin point? Lacey?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Maybe you are eating something that doesn't agree with her. Cut out ALL dairy and see how it goes. It's probably something else. have you switched laundry soap? Used a new lotion?
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Its red, raised some, and blotches----- Everywhere-
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Nope, everything is the same.... I have already cut out dairy
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• did you recently change detergents or softeners? or put an outfit on her that you didn't wash before putting her in it?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would wash her all off with cool water and a soap you know she is okay with and see if it helps. And watch the blotches... if they start in one place and then a little bit later are somewhere else... I would call her pediatrician. OR if the rash gets worse I would call too.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• it sounds like hives. I would cut out eggs, tree nuts, and citrus foods and see if the rash gets better. When my son was 18 months he developed hives twice, first time I thought it was the amoxicillan, dr thought he had strep, then mono, and turned out to be a simple virus. The second time it was determined to be another virus. If she is really uncomfortable I would call the ped, even tonight they will page him for a newborn problem. When my son had the hives the doctor recommended benadryl, but I doubt that is okay for a newborn.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It's not from breastfeeding. Even the very rare babies that have sensitivities to what moms eat don't get rashes all over. Maybe a diaper rash from stool but not all over. It's something else. Babies should stay home the first 6-8 weeks or so because they are born with very weak immune system. If the baby has gone out or been around kids it could be an infection. Kids can not have a rash or look sick and still give a baby an infection.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website. You can call La Leche League 24/7.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• it sounds like heat rash to me..... my first son got that from sleeping in his bassinet bc it had plastic on the cover and it was covered, quilted, etc. he got hot so quick he had to just sleep in a onesie on the bed and i had to keep the room cold, but it kept him from getting heat rash
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My youngest got rashes from heat, polyester, tags on her clothes, the wrong soap...I would highly doubt it would be from breastfeeding. My doc recommended baking soda baths and just keep her in a onesie. Maybe give her clothes an extra rinse in the wash, and no dryer sheets. The baking soda baths really kept her comfortable, and was good for butt rash too.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010