I would love to get my children a pet..

We would like to get a Lab. MIL has one and my children just love it to death and he is a great protector. But before we can get one I wanted to know how much you spend on, Food each month , medical( shot)when needed, If were lucky and things aren't too much Dh might want to get one.

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 7:33 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pets

• Labs are very pretty. GL!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Having and keeping pets is always expensive, a lab eats a lot because they are big dogs.

Answer by older at 7:35 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Uhh, pretty? I meant cute and loveable. LOL
    2tinyhineys

• My grandma has two chocolate labs she goes through I'd say 80 pounds of dog food a month. Now for one that would be about 40 to 45 pounds which if you go the cheap brands thats about how much you'll be spending 40 dollars to 45 dollars a month.
    mamadismay

Answer by mamadismay at 7:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Please do your research on the breed first. And yes dogs are expensive. I never leave the vets office without spending around 100+. Also do research on dog foods. Supermarket brands are almost always bad. visit www.dogfoodanalysis.com for more info on dog food. Labs are great dogs but especially as puppies they require lots of attention and exercise or they become destructive.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• That isn't too bad... MIL has a chocolate lab too
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Around 30 a month for food. If you have a Sam's club they have large bags of food for 20 bucks easy. Around 55lb bags. Vet bills are not easy to determine since you don't know when something will come up. But yearly shots can set you back around 120 dollars. You can get monthly heartworm pills for around 14 a month.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 7:41 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If the dog has to go the the Vet for any reason it is costly.

Answer by louise2 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I would consider an older dogs because our beagle is only 2 1/2 and she is always jumping all over our son and hurting him, and older dog would be more gentle. Vets are expensive do your research and get a price list. You can also check out your local SPCA, animal shelter, or Care-a-lot store. Care-a-lot has a clinic once a week where you get a check up, shots, and blood work for $69 for adult dogs and they offer individual services as well you can stop by and get a price list on that too.

I have 3 dogs two beagles and a basset hound, total weight 100 lbs, and I go through 50 lbs of food a month and depending on the food you choose a 50 lb page can be anywhere from $15 to $60 if you go for the higher end foods.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• our dog is a heeler, hes a little smaller than a lab but we spend 25$ on food each month, he had his first shots when we got him but the second set was about 70$, however when he got worms it costed 120$ for the vet and perscriptions to get rid of them. you have to factor in more than food and shots because just like kids they will get sick. oh and i spend another 10-20 a month on chew toys because he is a baby, and they need teether toys just like babies do. not to mention he had also destroyed hundreds of dolars worth of things in my house in the 5 months we have had him but he is finally starting to chill out.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010