Scared about a possible c-section.

I have high blood pressure and the baby is about 9lbs right now so my doctor told me I have a greater risk of needing a c-section. I am so scared and would like some info from moms who have been through it on what to expect and what the recovery is like. I'm TERRIFIED of being cut open while I'm awake.

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had my 2nd c-section 2 weeks ago and am almost fully recovered. I still have a little pain when I cough or sneeze, but overall I feel pretty good. As far as during - I had a spinal and other than some light tugging (not even uncomfortable), I felt nothing during either of my csections. There is definitely some pain in the first couple of days afterwards but overall I didn't think it was all that bad compared to my 3 previous vaginal births.

Answer by missanc at 8:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• lol, it's not like you feel them cutting into you and you can't see it either. all you can see is that blue sheet they put up. it's safer for the baby to get a c-section with a spinal than going under general anesthesia. i have had 3 c-sections. the first one was an emergency bc i had severe pre-eclampsia and they tried to induce me at 36 weeks but it failed. the first one was hard for me to recover from bc i had been on bedrest for so long and i was really in bad shape (i almost died from the pre-eclampsia). i think that's why the recovery was so hard. the other two i recovered much quicker. you will get pain medicine afterwards (they gave me 800 mg motrin) and i took that for about 1 week and then that was it. get up and walk around as soon as they let you and that really helps too. keep your incision clean and insist on dissolving stitches instead of staples. staples are just painful and get infected quicker....(cont
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It's not all that bad as you will either have an epidural or a spinal in place. Or if you prefer they can put you completely out. It didn't bother me at all because I knew it was the best thing for me and the baby. Expect to feel some tugging when they pull baby out and expect some discomfort when the meds wear off. Just because it puts you at a greater risk of c-section does NOT mean you will have one. And even if that's what it comes down to all that really matters is a healthy baby and healthy mom. My c-section was just so uneventful. I didn't feel anything other than some pressure and nausea.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• don't let people baby you (if you're lucky enough to have that option lol). getting up and around will make you recover quicker than laying in bed all day. that being said, don't try to lift anything heavy (like laundry or something like that) but you can still fold laundry, cook, etc. all within that first week. gl! and don't be scared..... everything will be fine and you'll end up with your beautiful baby one way or another!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I've had both vaginal and c/s births, and while I wouldn't choose to have another c/s, it wasn't the end of the world. My c/s was with my last baby, I was successfully induced (using prostgladin gel at 10 day past due) and laboured for abut 16 hours. At that time I was feeling pressure so the nurse checked me for dilation and accidentally broke my water and felt a foot. There was also meconinum in the fluid so the decision was made to get him out via c/s. Because it was unplanned there was a frenzied prep - shaving some of my pubic hair, putting compression hose on my legs (to help prevent blood clots), I already had an epi, so it was just a matter of switching the meds I was getting, I'd been drinking water so I had to have a drink to lower the acid in my stomach so I didn't vomit (I did anyway). I'm sure there was more prep done, but it was late night/early morn and there were a lot of people getting me ready ... con't
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Hire a doula, you are at much less risk of having a c-section. I didn't want a c-section and with my first I went to 7 doctors that said I had to have one before I found a CNM that said I chould have a vaginal birth. Everything went fine and I had no interventions - no IV, monitor, nothing. My third birth was high risk and I had a doula.

The size of the baby isn't as improtant as women think. What matters is the size of the head. The head bones are flexable so there isn't that much difference between a 7 pound baby and a 9 pound baby. Doctors can be way off on their estimates of the baby's size. If you have to have a c-section it is better for you and the baby if you are awake. Make sure someone helps you breastfeed in the first hour and you tell them to not give your baby any bottles or pacifiers.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• So the c/s itself - I was completely awake, hubby at my head (seated wearing one-size-deosn't-fit-all scrubs). I could feel some pressure and some pulling, but no pain at all. Hubby couldn't see the incision site, but could see the Dr's and he told me (later) that they were "reefing" on me - being none to gentle, but I honestly didn't feel a thing. They delivered baby, suctioned him (because of the mec), and showed him to me. Then he and hubby went back to our room while the Drs stitched me up, I still didn't feel a thing. I had to go to recovery until the spinal wore off, maybe an hour tops, it went quickly for me. Then back to my room to hubby and baby.

I delivered early Fri morn, was up walking Fri aft (with help). They left the epi in until Sun for pain meds. Because of that I also had the iv and catheter in till Sun too. I went home late Mon afternoon. I was 100% by 4.5 - 5 weeks post partum.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• With my 1st I was told he could go either way and he ended up being a C-section. My 2nd and 3rd were planned C-sections. I had an epidural with #1 and spinals with #2 & 3. I was awake, my hubs was sitting next to me holding my hand for all 3 of them. With # 1 and #2 I was up and walking later that day. For the first 2 wks I took it easy and did 'light' housework (dishes, fold laundry, cook). They do give pain pills, and I took them while in the hospital and for maybe 2 days after I got home. The c-sections really were not that bad.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It's not nearly as bad as you'd think. I was terrified, and it was all for nothing. I loved my c-section, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Gail- The perinatologist i see said the babys got a big head and wiht my first daughter he was 100% on with her weight.
    hornz102485

Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010