Have you ever had to put a beloved pet down and why?

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I have had to make that decision too many times. The one that hurt me the most was letting my 1st dog go, he was 16 and started having seizures, at 1st they were just on full moons, but when they got to be more frequent, I knew I had to make the final decision for him. It felt like I was losing a piece of myself that day, however my peace of mind comes from knowing that the day I let him go was a good day for him, he made the morning walk up the driveway to see my son off to school with the rest of the dogs, had been the 1st time in 2 weeks he felt good enough to do that. Even now almost 20 years later it hurts terribly thinking of him. Others I have had to let go due to cancer or just plain age.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 11:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I never had, but my mom just recently put both of our cats down. The first cat was 23 years old and was miserable she had a cyst over her eye that caused her to run into things and she was crying a lot like she was in pain and shortly after she was put down our other cat was put down, she was 21 years old, she was in a lot of pain as well some days she couldn't even eat wet cat food it hurt her to chew.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Several times. My first was Otto, an 11-year old cat for a thyroid condition. The medication he was taking quit working and he'd eat and eat and he was just a rack of bones. Then Simon, a 7-year old cat for liver failure. Then Chelsea, an 17-year old cat with advanced cancer. The last has been Jamaica, a 13-year old greyhound with a heart arrhythmia following an internal GI bleed.  It's tough every single time.

FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I have not.
    but I work in a Vet Clinic..so I'm around it pretty much daily. and even still it's hard to deal with some days. and those pets aren't even mine!
    but most of the time it's for the better anyway. I don't understand how some people can keep their pets around for SO long..when they're completely miserable. it's so sad. and some think they're actually doing them a favor by keeping them around longer...
    when a pet's quality of life is diminishing, and they're not even living a "full" life...they really should be put to sleep. pets shouldn't have to suffer.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• no thankfully cause I wouldn't be able to handle putting an animal down
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yes they had cancer.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yes. My Rottie broke her leg. The vet said it was shattered and that the bone could only break like that if it were bone cancer. The options all lead to the kindest thing to do was put her down. :(
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 9:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I haven't, but I was on the phone with the vet to put down my favorite pet rat when he passed away in my arms. he really was the best pet and I still get emotional thinking about it. He was definitely ready to go. He had waited that morning for me to come in and hold him before passing. :( :(
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:13 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Unfortunately, we recently had to put down our 7yrs precious girl. She had bone cancer. One of the toughest things I ever had to do!!
    ckap4707

Answer by ckap4707 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I just had to put down my 12yro Pit Bull to cancer 9wks ago. But, unfortunately she has not been the only one. Most of ours have passed from some type of cancer.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 10:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010