Friends that aren't friends to each other, what to do?

I have a very good friend, known her since we were little girls, who left the area about 6 years ago. She is back now and we've had a great time catching up and hanging out.

While she was gone I made this other friend. We aren't as close as this other friend and myself but still, she is a friend. Her children come to my childcare and are very close with my kids.

The prob? Turns out that friend #2 had a lapse of drunken judgement years ago and slept with the hubby of #1. The couple is still together and doing well. They do not know that I even know of this, #2 told me after she realized that #1 and I are good friends. The two have NOTHING for each other and that will obviously not change.

I don't know how to go about social functions. LOL I know, such a small worry. But seriously. I can hang with them individually, but what about bigger gatherings, bdays, etc?

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• If you invite them both, let them both know the other will be there. One of them will probably opt out.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:59 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• no purple you read it wrong. #2 slept with #1 husband
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Honestly I would just keep hanging out with them separately. I can see why #1 wouldn't want to hang around the home wrecker. But #2 may be a changed person but that still doesnt take away the pain for #1 to hang around the person who slept with her husband.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Pretend that you don't know anything, treat them both the same, and roll on!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:39 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I think getting the two of them together would surely set off some fireworks...it's best to play it safe and just be friendly with them on individual terms. Best of luck.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 9:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I dont think you should get them together since one slept with the others husband, that will never go over well.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• let them know that they will be civil at gatherings or invite neither, i know this is never as easy as it sounds, but sometimes people need to realize that some things are more important than fighting
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 10:10 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I agree with pp
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Oh man I am so glad this is not my dilemma! I would not invite them both.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• to be honest with you, they both sound like idiots. the second one is an idiot for staying with her husband who cheated on her, and the first one is a whore for sleeping with a married man on a drunken rampage .. so, whatever.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:30 PM on Jul. 24, 2010