Once a month cooking

Has anyone actually done it? In theroy its a great idea but im a little nervous the food would come out tasting awful from being frozen and I would have used most of our grocery money. Im trying to find ways to save money and I can see how this would be a great money saver...Just not sure how itreally works

LuvingMy3Girls

Asked by LuvingMy3Girls at 9:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Never cooked that much!!! But have cooked and frozen meals many times before. I guess if you have a super huge freezer it would work out. Some things don't freeze well though, so I would make sure of what you are making!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:27 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have tried once a month shopping and cooking. The things you make have to freeze well. Commonly its hard to almost cook things until their not quite done. This way when you reheat, defrost, or microwave it is completing the cooking and not over cooking. It is a science and an art. Good Luck.
    Mrs.Luv-Lee

Answer by Mrs.Luv-Lee at 9:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I personally can't really stand the idea of spending ALL day or all weekend cooking all of it. I'd rather spend my 30-45 minutes a day instead of it being an all day thing.

I have cooked and frozen before to eat later and as long as you seal it up good with little to no air in the container, should come out fine. I put a piece of plastic wrap right over top of the food, pressing it down so no air is actually on the food, then put the lid on my container.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• One of my daughters-in-law and a friend have done this for a number of years now. They shop, make 2 of every dish, spend the day together, and then each gives one of the dishes to the other. They then freeze those meals. It is a social event for them, having the children all play together for the day. They each have 4 children, so it has worked very well for the two of them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I have the book and the whole thing is very nice but time consuming (a t first. saves time in the end)

I have made spaghetti with different cheeses (like lagagna) doubled the recipe and frozen one. That's sort of what once a month does, except it's way more advanced.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:45 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• There's a group here dedicated to once a month cooking.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I haven't been I have friends who do.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:17 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I've done it. I've made frozen pizzas, chili, soups, meatloaf, casseroles, calzones, taco meat, browned meat, boiled rice, desserts, etc. As long as things are packaged well they taste fine.

OAMC takes the prep work and rush out of cooking. Most things can just be reheated, other things you can put in the oven to bake while you're taking care of the rest of dinner, still others you can pop in the crock pot in the morning and let it cook all day. The only things I've found that don't freeze well are potatoes (unless they're instant), and pasta (unless it's in a casserole, even then you should just cook to al dente).
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I don't think my freezer will hold that much!! I think it could be a good idea and the dinners should not go bad within the month. If you are worried aobut how it would come out, I suggest making only a few different dinners and freezing them to test how well it comes out. That way you don't blow all your money before finding out if it's a good idea for your family.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I used to do this until we lost power one too many times and I had so much food go to waste........my favorite thing to make and freeze is Lasagna tho especially since you always have to make a BUNCH when you make it anyway and it takes so much time to do one batch & it's quicker to make a couple batches at a time. I let it cool down then cut into 'bricks'....wrapped up individually then place in the freezer. Pull out and let it thaw in the frig then microwave it (or heat up in the oven, I would usually microwave in the summer so I don't heat up the house). Meatloaf is another one I would do.....it does save a lot of time to make multi-batches and then mold them into mini-loaves......if you have kids in college these 2 (lasagna & meatloaves are AWESOME to have on hand for when they head back to school!) I've also done chicken dishes as well....cook up a lot of chicken and freeze to add to salads or other dishes such as
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010