How do you get a climber to STOP climbing?

My kid will NOT stop getting into things and it's driving me nuts. He gets on anything possible so he can get to the DVDs and VHSs. We're working on how to fix the entertainment center so he can't keep pulling them out but I'd love to figure out how to get him to stop climbing. He's also now figured out how to get over the baby gate. He's a creative one, which I like, but it's wearing on me.

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 9:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give him lots of opportunity to climb in appropriate places (i.e playgrounds). That will help burn off energy. A friend of mine also has a climber and she finally had a carpenter come in and mount two gates one on top of the other. She also had to empty his room of all furniture except his bed (he was using the drawers as steps!). You might also try redirecting his attention when he gets into cilmbing, something that requires effort. For example, pushing a laundry basket full of books around the kitchen, put pillows on the floor and make a simply obstacle course, etc. It gives a better outlet for him.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• lol, I have three of those, little curtain climbers, and the best thing is to wear there little butts into the ground. Keep them busy as can be.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• When you figure it out pass it on to me. I have a four year old who thinks he is a monkey. I kid you not, he turned the hamper over, climbed on top of it, stepped over on the counter and climbed to the top of the refrigerator. He is the nosiest child.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Duct tape.

I'm only half-joking.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:29 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Our 3 y/o is a climber and can work the DVD player and TV in order to watch a movie. It's good to be independent, LOL! I have actually thought of lowering the DVD player to within his reach. They will climb as long as "it" is out of reach, period. I agree with lovingangels that they NEED to climb, so go to parks and let them climb slides, mountains, jungle gyms, trees, whatever, and that will tire them out some, but (from experience) they will continue to climb at home to get what they want. Their curiosity continues to cabinets and cupboards that they normally aren't allowed in, as well as closets and drawers. Part of it is to gain access to things they want, other part is to see what they haven't seen yet. I have been trying to get our LO to ask for what he can't reach. Just know that it's normal and won't last forever. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He needs actions, not words. Next time he climbs, say "Uh -OH looks like you need a little crib time and remove him to his room into the crib" After a few minutes (when he's calm) go in and say "Missed Ya" Give him a hug and have him rejoin the family. It may take 2-3 times of UhOh and then he'll totally get it. Read more about how to use the Uh Oh song on my blog... at www.headandheartparent.com and get your free report on 3 more great parneting strategies for lovingly disciplining kids!
    LoveLogicCoach

Answer by LoveLogicCoach at 10:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2010