Has anyone ever tried any natural supplements that help treat ADD?

rennie3

Asked by rennie3 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Vitamin B & Ginko Biloba helps my ADD
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Not yet, but I'm researching different herbs, teas, foods and vitamins that will enhance the ability to focus. I did get a free bottle of Focus Factor, but my son doesn't like the taste. I will keep you updated on any new info I find.
    hotmom33

Answer by hotmom33 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Have him tested for food sensitivities. Food panel Rast test for IgG antibodies. All it takes is a blood draw. High quality fish oil supplement with DHA & EPA. I also use SeaBuddies Concentrate. The fish oil has the most calming effect.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I know some one that gives her son Coffee beans. Just 2 a day and he is calm. Not sure I would go that way. Check with your local health food store. They can help you.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• I was able to rid my son of his ADHD diagnosis using a biomedical approach.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your answers much appreciated. My son is not considered hyper but he does have alot of problems staying on task he loses his focus very easily. He is also very unorganized at school, for instance he misplaces his HW sheets many times. He is organized at hm because I help him but at school he doesnt get much help. I have tried the Bio feedback on him and I have to say that it really didnt do much but take my money. I will definetly look into the fish oil and I will also look into the food test. He starts Jr. High which means 6 classes with a 3min gap in between each class to get to the next class...I am so scared for him that he will lose focus and Jr. High teachers are alot less forgiving. Please keep giving suggestion if you have any I am open to all and thk you it helps knowing that you will take the time to give me a answer. :)
    rennie3

Comment by rennie3 (original poster) at 3:29 AM on Jul. 29, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/tags/adhd-education
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by magnesium (we use a cal/mag/D) and fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2010