Buffet Style Wedding???

how many people would be mad or offended if a young couple invited them to a wedding and had the reception catered and they had to serve themselves? My SIL says this is tacky and redneck. We are planning to have our favorite food catered because the venue where they serve the food is too small, we are having ~250 guests. I dunno, no one in my family has had a real wedding let alone a reception in so long and i was young when they were going on so im CLUELESS as tgo what may offend?

smilelovesmile

Asked by smilelovesmile at 10:18 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• sounds fine to me. I'd rather get my own food anyway.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• right! also we want the food to be availible all evening, they take your plates at a regular style dinner, even if you get family style
    smilelovesmile

Comment by smilelovesmile (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• One of the most elegant weddings I've attend, a Hindi wedding, was buffet. I suspect so that people could pick out what they wanted to try. It wouldn't bother me to attend a wedding with a buffet reception. I like to choose what I am having to eat.

Answer by Bmat at 10:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Well if you're paying to have the food catered it should either be included or be suggested that you have servers as well, and not servers to take the food to the tables but just to stand at the food table and serve as people go by with their plates. almost EVERY wedding i've ever been to is done that way, especially where there are alot of people. The fancy weddings u see on TV where all the guests are seated at a perfect table and people bring fancy plates of food to them are not realistic for that size of a wedding :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:22 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i think this is more genrous than having it at a hall where people get small portions and their plates stolen while dancing! :)
    smilelovesmile

Comment by smilelovesmile (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Buffet style sounds great. That way, people will have a variety to choose from and won't waste food. Even if you did "half-catered & half Potluck", it would still be good because you'll have more of a variety. Don't worry about ppl being affended. Do what make YOU happy, after all, this is your day.
    hotmom33

Answer by hotmom33 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• tis true :) my day lol im excited and my SIL stresses me about everything, shes my maid of honor lol
    smilelovesmile

Comment by smilelovesmile (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Absolutely no offense in serving buffet style. We have attended many upscale wedding receptions that were buffet style & they were anything but tacky & redneck. However, we have been to numerous receptions where the food was plated & served & we were not impressed at all. My daughter's wedding was a very classy & elegant event & we purposely chose to have a buffet with an abundance of food choices as apposed to having one plate of typical "reception food". Go with what you want & don't worry about what others think about it. It's your day!

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• We had a potluck wedding. I'm serious. (I asked the people who were bringing dishes NOT to bring a gift)

I still, to this day, get compliments on how much fun it was.

there was a time when a wedding reception simply meant cake at someone's house.

Do what makes you happy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• so you ladies are amazing, thank you i know a wedding trifle is not the hardest thing a woman has to go through :) but i greatly appreciate your opinions, my SIL is a wee bit crazy, because her father planned her wedding and gave her no choices. Now she wants my wedding to be what she wanted :) im working on standing my ground :)
    smilelovesmile

Comment by smilelovesmile (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jul. 24, 2010