when you go to a doctor for help on TTC, what do they do?

lauren92

Asked by lauren92 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• idk but i wanna know too, IM ttc with no luck for over 2 years
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• On the first visit the doctor should do a history, exam, pap, blood work, and maybe other tests. Your husband should have a sperm count.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:48 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Yeah, Gailll is pretty much on the nose. Though depending on your exact history. I'm not sure I'd say the sperm count check should be on the very first check up. I had a history of irregular periods, so for us, it was more than likely a problem on my end. We never did need to get around to having DH checked.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:06 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• If you are seeing an RE (fertility specialist) rather than an OB/GYN the appointment will likely be longer and more in depth, and they will likely let you know that before your appointment; my first appointment with my RE took over an hour and a half. Your OB/GYN or RE will ask you a lot of questions and probably order some blood tests. If you've had a pap in the last 12 months they may not do that again, but they might still do a pelvic exam and trans-vaginal ultrasound to see how things look. If you are having irregular periods or other symptoms they may look further into the cause for that before they request a sperm count from your husband, but they will require a sperm count before beginning more advanced treatments (might do Clomid without it). If you are under 35 and having regular periods they may tell you to come back when you've been trying on your own for at least one year.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Take a look at this journal post. It has a lot of the information that you are looking for.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1587343/Fertility_Treatment_Information
    LorisBaby

Answer by LorisBaby at 10:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2010