Speaking in tongues?

Why do people do this? Isn't it the same as praying? If so, then why not just pray?

I've heard people say that only those closest to God can do this. I have a hard time believing this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am also a firm believer that this gift has mostly ceased since the completion of the scriptures. (I'm not about to say God doesn't use it however,...)

1 Corinthians 13:8-10 "...where there were tongues they will be stilled...for when perfection comes the imperfect disappear."

Abuse with tongues happens way too often now a days. Tongues, again, was used as a witness or sign to unbelievers. It's a language not gibberish and there is always an interpretor present. This gibberish used in public congregations is just abuse and false tongues. 1 Corinthians 14:2-12 clearly talks about this. When using tongues as a prayer ~ do it alone, in private between you and God. Not in a public place. And if you just have to speak in tongues in public ~ make sure you have someone to interpret so you may edify the believers present. I strongly encourage ALL to read this passage.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 4:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• "only those closest to God can do this". Junk!! Someone was lifting themselves onto a pedestal.
    Anonymous

• I for one won't believe in it till I experience it. I've been around people who were supposedly speaking in tongues but wasn't convinced there was anything spiritual about it. But hey, who knows for sure. Prayer is a personal thing and I guess those who "speak in tongues" are just choosing to express their spirituality in their own way???
    Anonymous

• I have some very strong thoughts about speaking in tongues. Thoughts that will cause a whole lot of drama so if you want to know, just PM me. =)

As for being closest to God ~ rubbish. That's such an arrogant and boastful way of thinking.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Speaking in tongues is praying... it's just in an unknown language. there are scriptural references for it and if you want you can PM. I usually like to back it up with bible references. I havent always spoke or prayed in tongues... but I do now. If you haven't that's fine. Your relationship with God isn't changed by it. Not everyone does and it's okay. And as far as someone saying they are closest to God if they pray in tongues.... IGNORE that.. it's not true.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I dont buy any of that crap. Praying is great..but that jibberish is just stupid!
    Anonymous

• Two passages have jumped out at me so far: 1. Closest to God and 2. Choosing to express. I don't believe either. I don't think tongues is something that we choose to express...and we certainly don't have to be God's 'best, dearest, closest, friend' before we qualify. I think tongues is a gift, you either have it or you don't. And there is a difference between a gift and a talent, and I've heard people say that tongues is a talent. A talent is learned, honed, practiced and perfected - a gift is given and when it is given it's complete. You should have a hard time believing what you've been told... because if told to you in the context you repeated it to us; then it's wrong. God does not show preference to one and not the other. His gifts and promises and blessings are for ALL . If tongues is a gift you desire then pray for it, if not, then study it to know it and let God be the director of it, not man.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• anon 3:00: I know it's your personal opinion... but why attack and call someone's personal beliefs crap, jibberish and stupid. Also, how do you explain a person who doesn't know a foreign language but when praying... begins speaking hebrew, russian, chinese etc... and it's confirmed by the russian, chinese etc person who hear's them. This does happen, I've seen it happen, so... it's fine if you don't agree or believe in it but I would never insult or personally attack your beliefs.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I don't believe in the whole speaking in toungues thing, I think it is just a bunch of people babbling nonsense just so they can say they are closer to God.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Nobody said speaking in tongues made them closer to God that I know of....PaceMyself was right about it all. It's a spiritual gift. It does not make you "sound better" or anything....But lets not fight about it NOT EVERYONE HAS TO BELIEVE IN IT so get your panties out of your cracks. Infact many people do it because they find when they spend their time praying in tongues to God by the time they are done God has given them an answer to a problem then needed an answer to or God has helped them with something they were battling with...It's a personal thing between you and God.
    Anonymous