Breastfeeding/Bottle

Did your baby go back and forth from a bottle to the breast easily? I due in May and I have heard that some Babies will not take a bottle and some once they have a bottle will not want to breastfeed anymore something about flow preference??. Thanks~

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• starting at a couple weeks is good, and giving one once a day or every other day is a really good idea. my little one took one like a champ the first time at about 3 weeks, but i didn't keep it up and she doesn't like them at all now (2 months). good luck and be patient.
    ariel08

Answer by ariel08 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• if you want to breast feed i recommend sticking with it not even think of giving a bottle. babies get nipple confusion and they might reject your breast... just be sure you tell the hospital too they give bottles when they are born in case of their blood sugar being too low. i wanted my son to be breastfeeding but he got so used to the bottle he rejected it. Im so disappointed becasue that made my milk decrease and i had to go on formula. :(
    jls_mama

Answer by jls_mama at 2:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I had two babies that switched back and forth very easily, but I had one that refused the breast after having a bottle.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Some babies have a problem, some don't. There's no way to know which kind you have.

BUT...even a six week old can be fed with a cup. Remove the spill proof valve. Caregiver tips the cup, baby sips the milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• If you plan to breastfeed, do not introduce a bottle until the latching has been established. It is reccommended to wait until week 3 to introduce a bottle. It was successful with my first two babies to go back and forth from the bottle. They did prefer to nurse since I waited -- i was so happy. My twins however were taught to bottlefeed first and it had taken me almost three months to get them on the breast. I have been EBF, pumping to feed. And I still do it because now it just seems more convenient-- with two.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• start with breast and use a bottle once you get ome but follow up with the breast. babies need to learn that food comes i many packages. i pump bottles for my son so others can enjoy their time with him, and my hands are free if you have any other questions msg me
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 3:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• We introduced a bottle early and he has gotten one once/night ever since... we didn't want him to forget how to use it. My niece wouldn't take a bottle when her mom went back to work, and she got kicked out of daycare because of it, we can't afford to do that. We use the Breastflow bottles and never had any problems switching between.
    The first several weeks I never fed him the bottle though, daddy always did.
    I think one of the key things about breastfeeding and using a bottle is the flow of the nipple - they have to work just as hard at the bottle or they get lazy and just want the bottle. The breastflow bottles work great that way.
    I think it's suggested that you wait 2 weeks or more before giving a bottle... but I know for sure that my son wouldn't have taken on at all if we would have waited.. we tried to switch the kind of bottle he was taking and he would have nothing to do with it. He's a stuborn little guy!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My daughter was supplimented at 2 weeks and didn't care what she drank from.
    Anonymous

• it completely COMPLETELY depends on the baby, but if you want to breastfeed, nurse nurse nurse nurse NURSE.. seriously lol. Dont offer the bottle for quite a while, at LEAST six weeks.. but i wouldnt give the baby any formula at all, if you have to give a bottle, give them breastmilk. Formula is nasty and unhealthy and is too hard for them to digest and ruins their little systems. Do some research, but seriously, if you want to breastfeed, I would content yourself with that and forget about the bottle, you never know how your baby will react.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I had it go both ways, one of mine was supplemented and had a bottle preference. Refused the breast in favor of the bottle. Another was exclusively breastfed, and rejected bottles of pumped milk. When I left him with family, I had to leave a sippy full of milk for him because he wouldn't take a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2008