answers needed ASAP please....labor induction with cervadil?

I am 36 weeks and 5 days pregnant and im set to be induced in the morning (oct3). The dr is going to insert a Cervadil suppository into my cervix tonight to see if that puts me into labor on my own without the Pitocin. Does anyone hve experience with this...how long does it take for labor or contractions to start...or does it work at all? My last cervical exam was 2 weeks ago and I was 1 cm dilated and 50% efaced hes gonna do another before the insertion. Iv been having contractions the past two weeks so I figure I should have a little bit of a change. This will be my second delivery. Any answers will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

amileigh

Asked by amileigh at 2:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I too, was admitted to be induced. I was 10 days early with no signs of going into labor (medical reasons for the induction). The Cervadil is really a suppository to get your cervix nice and ripe for labor (ew, I know). However, it totally sent me into stage 3 labor within 6 hours of having it put in (I skipped all the nice and easy labor). I was super glad too cause I really didn't want to have Pitocin. Same thing happened to a friend of mine this past month (no signs of labor and 10 days early).

You seem well on your way already so I'd bet the Cervadil will most definitely start your labor! Rock on! =) Congratulations!
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I was induced this way. Cervadil was inserted about 8 am. they were getting ready to insert a second dose (which is usually needed) around noon- nothing was happening, except alot of walking the halls! The baby's heart rate started to go down during any activity,so they started talking c-section. My water broke around 2 and active labor started at 4. my little angel was born (very healthy) at 11:22 pm.
    This was my third child, first induction. the labor progressed nicely and was quite bearable until the last 2 or 3 contractions.
    congratulations!!!!
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• They used Cervadil on me to induce me with my first child. They inserted it at 9 pm and gave me a sleeping pill, I woke up around 6 am with contractions. The contractions got pretty intense around 9 am (then I asked for my epidural) and my daughter was born, pain free, at 1 pm. So, it works and there were no weird side effects. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I was induced with Cervidil. I was 9 days late... They inserted it about 830 PM, they told me that it might take up to 24 hours to see if I was starting to dialate. I slept until about 4am, that was my first little contraction. By 9am am they were ready to take it out and I was 8 cm dialated and at 10:19 I had a healthy, beautiful baby boy. Everything came really fast and intense. I dont know if it was me or the meds. IT was my first baby. GOOD LUCK!! CONGRATS!
    RyansMommy324

Answer by RyansMommy324 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I was induced unexpectedly because of preeclampsia. I had the cervadil inserted around 11 PM and by 12 I was contracting. The cervadil actually had to be removed at 4 because I was contracting too often (every minute) I was given Pitocin at 8, and had a csection at 5PM (because she hadn't dropped, and I was not effaced or dialated after 16 hours of labor, and my liver was starting to shut down, and my BP was high enough to cause seizures!) I hope your experience is easier than mine!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 4:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2008