Why are inmates on death row so long?

Call me naive or whatever but I am just cuious WHY they are on death row so long? Why do we pay for them to be living when we know they are guilty of a horrific crime?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NOt everyone on deathrow are guilty. Inmates have appeals, stays, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I know not everyone is guilty BUT the majority of them are.
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I know right especially when they know they are guilty.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:57 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• I dunno... I say, give them ONE year to prepare a proper appeal... If they are STILL found guilty a full year later, give them 72 hours to say their good byes, get their affairs in order and what not... Then do it... Do mistakes get made? Sure. And they will continue to. But they aren't as common as anti-death penalty people want you to believe... And the average inmate is costing tax payers over $75K a year! Can you imagine the good that money could do put in to schools or charity programs? Sorry, I don't get it... A rope is $5 and reusable... One year, One appeal, One long walk is my attitude!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• One person being put to death when they were innocent makes society as cruel and vile as those who are guilty of crimes like murder. When society is going to murder someone they better give the person time and make sure everything was done correctly so we are not murdering the wrong person.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• They stay on death row for decades even when prisoner confesses and the DA has 12 witnesses and a video recording on the murder.

The appeals process goes on too long. Groups will form appeals even when the prisoner has confessed and requested no appeals.

It's a travesty of justice.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:06 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Appeals process
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 9:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• When society is going to murder someone they better give the person time and make sure everything was done correctly so we are not murdering the wrong person.

***
    Yet the victim(s) didn't get ample time to say their "good-byes" to their family and friends!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yet the victim(s) didn't get ample time to say their "good-byes" to their family and friends!

Very true but if we will kill one innocent we (society) are as inhumane as the most vile murderer. I get sick when I do hear about people being on death row for 12 years only to be exhonerated later. Some had been almost executed and lived in fear of being killed before they were able to prove their innocent. I guess no one cares about those people or their families. This is one area I have to disagree with my conservative friends.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• we could make them organ donors.......as long as they are healthy enough. Hey they get lots of free medical in prison...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2010