Do you know what cursive is?

I was at my in-laws today, who are in their mid-60s, and I was talking about cursive. They had no idea what I was talking about. They said they learned 'printing' and 'writing'. I am 43, and I know that I am not that out-of-the-loop and learned some weird terminology. Don't kids still learn cursive in school? If so, what is it called?

beckie66

Asked by beckie66 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My 17 year old son doesn't even know what cursive is. I'm 42 and I remember being taught this. When I was at a meeting at school, I asked his teacher is they even taught cursive anymore. He said that since everything is on computers these days, that they really don't have a need to teach it anymore. Then I said, "Are you serious?" I thought everybody knew cursive writing.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes..it's still called cursive in my daughter's school.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• My parents are in their 60's and they also call it printing and writing.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• lol, im 27 and i call it printing and writing..but yes, i know what cursive is..LOL...my daughters school calls its handwriting
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• yes it was cursive when I was in school and now my kids I did hear that schools were going to quit teaching though
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• Sounds like it depends on what area you are from. I'm a decade below your in-laws & it was just called "handwriting" in school. But, I know cursive from my kids.
    christianmom55

Answer by christianmom55 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• That's still what it's called here... But I think it was just "writing" for the older generations and then there was printing... But for us, it's cursive!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes, it is still called "cursive", It has been since I was in school in the 1940's. Where did your in-laws go to school? Or DID they? THEY should know what "Cursive" writing is. Wow....sometimes I am just astounded .....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• It was called cursive when I was in school in the 80s/90s and it is still called cursive at my kids' school.  My oldest started to learn it in 3rd grade.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thank you, Izsarejman! I knew I wasn't crazy!
    beckie66

Comment by beckie66 (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Jul. 24, 2010