How do I prepare and freeze fresh green beans from our garden?

This is our first year having a garden, and we want the fruits of our labor to last all year... what is the best way to prepare and freeze fresh green beans?

asil

Asked by asil at 12:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• wash them, then blanch them. (Look up blanch on the internet... Im not 100% on the correct method.)
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:13 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• yes, wash them then blanch them
    then I prefer to lay them flat on a cookie sheet and freeze them for a while until they are hard, then put those in a ziplock baggie so that they don't freeze into a solid clump, they come out more like you get from the frozen veggies at the store
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• we just snapped the ends off and stuck them in a freezer bag but I did here they last longer when you blanch them
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Blanch them, and then dry them thoroughly so they don't stick together as bad.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• 1. wash the beans.
    2. boil a pan of water on the stove, have a big bowl of ice water next to it.
    3. dump the beans in the boiling water, let boil for 1 minute, then with a slotted spoon take them out and put in the ice water. (this is blanching).
    4. take out of ice water and let dry.
    5. place on cookie sheet in freezer, freeze for about an hour. (this is tray freezing, we do it to strawberries/broccoli/cauliflower/carrots also).
    6. pack them in freezer bags, squish out the air (I use a drinking straw to suck out as much air as possible ) seal, then put back in freezer.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I snap off the ends and put them in a freezer bag. I keep them (with all my other homemade frozen veggies) in my freezer door so they don't get too frozen and freezer burned. I know there's a better way to freeze veggies, but I've had success with sticking to the basics.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• YEP...Blanch them....here's a link to the e-How........http://www.ehow.com/how_13887_blanch-vegetables.html
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• bump
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• thanks guys!
    asil

Comment by asil (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2010