Painful bump after breastfeeding adult content

This morning after nursing my son I noticed a tiny bump at the very base of my nipple on the areola. It was hurting pretty bad, but I thought maybe he just latched on wrong and the pain would go away on it's own. Well, cut to the end of the day and the bump is still there and it hurts really bad. Even when he's not nursing. It feels like my nipples felt when I first starting breastfeeding and the latch on was painful. It's a tiny bump, smaller than a pea, and it's the same color as the surrounding areola. There isn't any pus or any other signs of infection. It just hurts. Has anyone else had this problem. I found on another site that it might be a clogged Montgomery gland, but I can't find any info on how to treat it. Not even on webmd or mayoclinic.com. Thanks for any help.

Miss_cecilia

Asked by Miss_cecilia at 12:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Health

• I had a clogged one once and i took are really hot washcloth and put it on there and used a breast pump set on high to suck it out (TMI sorry). If you don't own a breast pump you can try putting a heating pad on there...good luck and ouch!!
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 12:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• maybe a clogged duct.
    never had any issues with clogged montgomery glands
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It does sound like a clogged duct. They hurt a lot. Massage the area as much as you can stand. The same for hot compresses. And have baby start on that side until it starts to get better.

kellymom.com has a lot of good information that is not always available on the doctor websites.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I'm pretty sure it's not a clogged duct. I've had one of those before, and those dang things hurt too. This is different though. I think you're right Shortleo, the other sites I read said the same thing, to apply hot water or a hot compress. I'll have to try it tonight.
    Miss_cecilia

Comment by Miss_cecilia (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It could be mastitis.

Check out www.mayoclinic.com/health/mastitis/DS00678 for more info.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:30 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Idon't think it is mastitis as that affects the whole breast. I would call your Dr. or Midwife. I would stop nursing until The Dr. has evaluated the lump.If the pain is as bad as you say it is why make it worse? You could use a nipple shield,but that can be painful too. I was unable to nurse any of my babies because of sensitive nipples. They got more blood than milk. Please call your Dr. asap.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 3:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2010