What is eating my tomatos?

I have a patio tomato plant, and some of the tomatos have "trails" so to speak, going around the fruit... about 1/4 inch deep. What is doing this? And, are they safe to eat? How do I stop whatever is eating them?

asil

Asked by asil at 12:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I dont know what is eating them but if you have a patio plant just bring it in at night
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• snails,slugs i was told to put a barrier of salt around it
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my MIL has tomato plants, and she was next to them one day, looked at them, and saw this big bite mark in it! she thought it was the racoon they have, but looking closer, there was this HUGE bug, looked like a millipede or something, with a million legs, it blended in with the leaves, she almost missed it. she FREAKED! the thing had teeth!! it was about a half inch thick...she had her dh kill it, guts were everywhere. they'd never seen or heard of it before...maybe it's that?

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my DH was just telling about someone talking about that kind of worm we thought he was lying
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Armywife- that is a scary sounding bug!!!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• It could be a bird or something too...if you can bring it in I would and NO I WOULD NOT EAT ANY of those even if you cut around it cuz the critter's saliva.
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• bump, cause im not sure
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i sure HOPE that it's not one of those nasty sounding bugs... SO is harvesting the tomatos from now on! ha!
    asil

Comment by asil (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2010