how do you can tomatos?

I have 8 tomato plants in our garden, not sure which type. But I am looking to get them canned for the winter. Any suggestions or ideas that you can share? I could do sauce, paste, pasta sauce, or anything, just looking for them to not go to waste.

asil

Asked by asil at 12:16 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• here is a website I love http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_tomatoes.htm we also make salsa with ours
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Ooohh... We can our own spaghetti sauce and salsa. It isn't even very hard. You have to add two tbsp of lemon juice before you can it though because it isn't acidic enough and might spoil if you can it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Oh this is great! You might also want to do some whole or diced...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Did you know you can freeze them...my gram & I would do this then use them for recipes in the winter like soups.
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You can pressure cook them freeze them whole you can cook them on the stove and add Citric acid to them because they aren't acid enough make sauces, salsa stew if you add other veggies to it to can or freeze that.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• im not sure, try googling it.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 5:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• thanks ladies!
    asil

Comment by asil (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jul. 27, 2010