Why do apartments do inspections? What are they looking for?

(Sorry, didn't know where to put this!)

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 12:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Who is doing the inspection? Some places have laws in place that make them do this stuff before a building can be sold or bought... Beyond that I have never heard of an inspection...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• The city I live in has laws that they have to come in every other month and inspect outlets, fire detectors and extinguishers and in general to make sure everything is in good repair. They can also fill out a complaint if your apartment is not clean and you have a short time to correct it to keeps pests down.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 12:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I think they are looking to make sure that a) there is nothing that they are responsible for fixing and b) that the tenants aren't screwing the place up
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i agree with darkfaery just checking on the condition of the place
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 1:01 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i have lived in soooo many apartments and they never inspect it, I think thats a violation of privacy IMO, I wouldent live in a place like that where my privacy was raided
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• thats why we pay deposits so if anything is messed up in the apartment we dont get our money back, so there is no reason to do that
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• DeeMarie87
    I didn't see anything about inspections in our lease, if there were anything we wouldn't have signed. I feel like it's a violation of our privacy as well, unless they really are just looking at outlets and light switches.
    SpiritedTigress

Comment by SpiritedTigress (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• The last place we rented they did them every 6 months other places never did them and the apartments were crap. They would make a list of any repairs the tenant didn't report so they could be repaired. They also checked the heating units and appliances to make sure all were in proper working order. I personally didn't mind the inspections they gave 2 weeks notice and would accommodate tenants schedules so they could be there for it. The apartment wasn't my property so I understood why they did them to make sure everything was working and that tenants were not tearing the place up.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I have lived in an apartment for the past 5 years and I have NEVER had an inspection while I lived there. It was inspected after I moved out of the one because it was for damage to see if we could transfer our security deposit to the new apartment.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2010