Any insomniacs here?

Any tips on dealing with insomnia?

It's not for me... for my DH.

MomtoElliett

Asked by MomtoElliett at 1:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Health

• depends on what is causing his.
    stress can cause it and that's a pretty hard on to just solve over night
    dimming lights and sitting in the dark can often trigger sleep (circadian rhythm)
    dairy products I have heard can make you sleepy but I don't really know about that since I'm lactose intolerant

One of my problems is it's almost like my brain does not shut off! So I lay in bed and play mindless solitaire on my cell phone to block out thoughts of all the other random stuff. Takes about 30 minutes of these mindless games but I eventually start dozing off and put the phone down and sleep.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Right here and sorry i have no tips. I just stay up all night either cleaning or reading. Doctors here on the base are stupid and won't really help. Just give "advise" I already know and/or tried. GL to your DH though.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• ME i am but thats just bc of my back pain i cant sleep so i spend most of the night on here, sadly!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yup...Im here...drink warm milk and put on smooth music...or get a rain/thunderstorm cd...happy sleeping...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• He's tired as hell, just refuses to sleep.... I think it's probably stress induced. But you'd think that the stress I cause him after he stays up all night was greater then any stress that he could be feeling the night before.
    MomtoElliett

Comment by MomtoElliett (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Me Me Me! I have no idea how to fix it though... I'm told it's a side effect of my anxiety disorder. The only thing that ever helps me is to just lay down in a completely darkened room maybe with some music on... it still takes me at least an hour to get to sleep that way, but it's the best thing I've found for myself.
    CarrieLeester

Answer by CarrieLeester at 1:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm a horrible insomniac. I can't offer advice for the here and now, but if he gets like he does, a sleep aid like ambien could help knock him back into a pattern. I take the CR version and it has worked great. For the first time in 13 years, I can sleep and fall asleep.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:51 AM on Jul. 25, 2010