Do you have a garden?

What have you gotten from it so far?
How are you going to store your food, freeze it? can it?

togo90210

Asked by togo90210 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have a huge garden it has tomatoes, peppers, green beans, carrots onions, corn had rashishes but they are done,pumpkins, squash 2 differnet kinds, cucumbers, strawberries those are done asparagas, watermelon & Rhubarb& on the outside of our fence we have more starwberries, and grapes.
    I have made strawberry jelly already canned 23 pints of green beans already when the tomatoes and carrots and onions get done I will cook all that together and make stew I give my dad alot of stew for the winter along with all the radishes and some of the onions. I can carrots, & tomatoes.
    I can and freeze corn the pumpkins we want for Halloween and then I'll make pumpkin seeds out of them for snacks and the squash accorn we eat the other squash I shred up and freeze and use for cakes & pies and such I think that's about it I probably am forgetting something but it lasts us all winter into the summer when the next food is ready.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I have an herb garden, I've gotten dill, sage, lemon balm, lemon verbena, lavender, parsley, thyme, rosemary and cilantro out of it. I freeze some in ice cube trays w/ water and drop them into things I'm cooking...most of it gets dried out and used throughout the year.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I have 11 tomato plants and 19 pepper plants and one cucumber plant. I plan to can the tomatoes and maybe pickle some peppers. Otherwise I plan to eat them!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My garden the last two years has done squat. I planted six cucumber plants - only two survived. I have two rows of green beans, I have beans but not enough to can. my carrots and onions died, the radishes never really grew, but my potatos are going spastic. I keeping hilling dirt around them but I'm pretty sure I won't get many potatos because the tops are too healthy - all the nutriets are going to the tops of the plants. I avoided tomatos because they got blight really bad last year.
    We usually take fifty bucks to the farmer's market at the flea market in town and load up on fruits/veggies to can and freeze. We put up pickles, jelly, frozen strawberries/peaches/blueberries, green beans, hot peppers, and can tomatos, salsa, spaghetti sauce. We also freeze apples and pears for pies, and broccoli/cauliflower/carrots.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• My aunt & uncle have a garden and it was GREAT picking fresh lettuce for dinner each night!!!!!
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• We have green beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchinis and lettuce. We also had great luck with our strawberries this year and our raspberries are growing pretty well too.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 3:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• we freeze and can
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• no, but id love one!
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 5:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• This year, we have onions, potatoes, garlic, shallots, peppers (2 different kinds, bell and lilac bell), tomatoes (4 kinds, roma, beefsteak, cherry and celebrity), also have butternut squash and yellow squash. That's the annual veggie garden. Didn't get beans in this year or corn. Peas didn't do well, it got too hot and dry too fast this year.

Will be freezing the peppers (what we don't use fresh). Still have lots of Jalapeno peppers from last year canned, so didn't plant them this year. Also, have lots of banana peppers in the freezer from last year, so didn't plant those either.

Tomatoes will be processed for tomato sauce and for diced tomatoes, also some tomato juice. That is, what we don't use fresh, or for fried green tomatoes. The green tomatoes at the end of the season will be used for fried green tomatoes and mincemeat.

Perennials include rhubarb, strawberries, grapes, raspberries and herbs.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 11:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2010