When is the best time to start breaking the pacifier habit?

laanette_19_88

Asked by laanette_19_88 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've heard that waiting until their 18 months old or a little after can really be helpful because they can understand what you're saying a lot better.
    My DD refused one after 6 months :(
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 1:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• my son is 8 months and im starting now. he barely suck it anymore just mostly chew on it and throws it on the floor
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 1:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• They can have a need to suck up until around two years, but by one you want to limit the usage during the day. If they use it all day long they will not get enough practice talking and it could delay speech development. We allowed our twins to keep theirs at naptime, bedtime, and in the car after they turned one, and then around 21 months we did away with them completely without much fuss.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• When they grow teeth is a good time. The teeth are so sharp, they're going to bite off little pieces and potentially choke on them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• by one or so I started "limiting" basically I did "out of sight out of mind" whenever they'd drop it, it'd put it in my pocket until needed. then around 1 1/2 I started the only for car, emerg (dr. office, really hurt) or sleeping....
    my son had very little issues letting it go and I think its b/c I did it from early and w/o drama or a big break... little by little
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2010