Honest opinion?

Okay my dog is 3 and is constantly pooping in my house. Well we are always walking here but she is still doing it. So if she is on her dog run during the day she barks and barks all day what do you think of bark collars good or bad? Never used one before not sure what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pets

• Feed her and take the walk about. bring in to crate. Leave for a while, and you do what ever you need to do. I would suggest to you to not leave her out all day. Rotate her during the day. Reward good behavior and use lots of praise. I use liver treats, or dry chicken. Its a great way to teach and train. Not only that but they look forward to pleasing you. Try reverse mind control.Anything you can change or creat at for her differnt may just work. If she poops in front of you , crate her. But if you are supervising her she should not poop. Good luck. Hope it works for you.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• She is probably prompted to go again because she an still smell it. Even if we clean and clean, they can still smell it. There's a special enzyme cleaner you can get to fix this, but I don't know the name. Once you use it an get the odor out of the house, I would suggest some puppy pads, since they are scented and will encourage her to use them. Put them down where she usually goes, and once she gets the idea, start moving them closer and closer to the door until they go outside and so does she. As for the barking, I'm sorry I don't approve of bark collars. They shock the dog and are painful. I don't know what to do about barking I've never had that problem out of a dog. Good luck!!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Don't do a shock collar unless you want your already crazy dog to go insane! They don't understand why the heck they get shocked or where it comes from! You think it might be an "easy" fix but I promise you there is no "easy fix" with dogs. A content dog doesn't bark or chew or dig or etc. Your dog is bored. I know it sounds like I'm judging you but I only mean to help. Dogs need to be stimulated. They need contact with other animals or humans. They need activities to do. Other wise you end up with a problem dog that you are exasperated with. Can you RUN your dog? Like until he isn't willing to run anymore. Like chasing a ball, every night, until he refuses? A TIRED DOG IS A GOOD DOG! Period. We can't just have dogs and expect them to be awesome dogs with out putting A LOT of effort into them. So you may have to change his life style a little to get some good results. Good luck.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 4:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I vote no on the bark collar..... as far as the pooping in the house..... clean it up right away certainly, I'm sure you already do, then settle in for a long "stake out"...... she's going to come back to that spot - and when she does you'll be there to give her the NO command, and escort her out.... and you're going to have to do this over and over until she gets to a place where she knows she had better not approach that area.... then she may try to choose another. Don't know what kind of dog you have, but we used a crate to potty train...... for 3 days our Chihuahua stayed in the crate (all the time - even though we were here) and she only got out to go out. She got the point... be we still had to watch her. Close.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• the dog is telling you something. You need to remove poop smell with clorox if you can,ordor ban etc. Bring fido in the house and have a crate ready. Put him in it and have him rest there in a cool place where he can see the family. When you are ready for his company bring him out on a leach and have him go to a down command, where you are sitting. Reward him for being good. If he knows you have treats he will do what ever you want., after he knows you are praising him with it. Keep an eye on him and make him stay in your area where you are. Don't give full range of the house. Just a room. con't next part.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Take the dog for walks. When she goes to the bathroom say "poopy" several times(or whatever code word you want) give her lots of praise when she goes. And watch her while she is in the house!! They go through a routine BEFORE they poo or pee on the floor. As soon as she starts that behavior (sniffing, circling) take her outside. You must be diligent or it won't work. After a couple of weeks of constant training she'll go on command when you say the code word. Works on my dogs. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2008