crib wit drop down sides?

we rly loved the convertible cribs n furniture sets walmart had until i noticed all the cribs were "fixed sides" n dont drop down.....im oly 5 ft n have some physical limitations n i cant reach the bottom of a crib to pick up an infant who couldnt sit up!....sooo do u kno of any chain or common stores that have cribs wit a drop down side?

LilStacy

Asked by LilStacy at 1:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the mattress has different levels for baby's age, you can put it at the highest level for newborns and then as baby gets bigger gradually lower it, by the time baby is at the bottom, they can stand up when you go to get them out, making it much easier.

With all the darn recalls on them, I'm not really sure how easy it will be to find a drop down sides crib.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• o wow i didnt kno about different level of mattresses ill check that out, thanx....n ya i bn lookin for an hr online for the drop down crib, talk bout impossible!
    LilStacy

Comment by LilStacy (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm 5 foot 6 and at my height it isn't bad to have a crib with no drop rails. My daughter is 9 months old but we still have her mattress on the highest setting....but I'll tell ya that there were a few times I wish I had a drop rail, like when trying to put a sleeping newborn down while holding the bottle in her mouth with my chin. Not very easy. So if I were you I would look at cribs with drop rails but check the safety comments on it because some drop rails will drip if baby kicks or shakes it, which is why they're hard to find now. Look at amazon.com, jcpenney.com, babiesrus if price isn't an issue.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 2:39 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I meant drop not drip....gross lol.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 2:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm 5'6" and my DD is currently 15 months old, and still won't fall asleep in her crib! So, I end up trying to gently set her down in it, and I have the one with sides that don't drop. This is hard to do because the side is so high and I have to keep her mattress to the lowest setting cuz she could fall out if it wasn't.
    I guess if your child cooroperates, it won't be too bad. But if you have a baby that won't fall asleep on their own, then it's better to just get a drop down sided crib!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• those are on recall
    christina10140

Answer by christina10140 at 4:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I was thinking the same thing about the recalls. Evidently the drop down side cribs are death traps. We used one with our 1st ds and it worked great, but we have a fixed one for our new ds. We bought ours at Target & it works for me cause the front rail is lower than the back rail (important cause I'm 4"11') plus it converts to a full size head/footboard later. If you really want a drop side check out craigslist.com or freecycle.com. I would be careful though. They're recalled for a reason.
    Miss_cecilia

Answer by Miss_cecilia at 4:32 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I used a drop side 11 years ago and I am currently using one now for my 14 month old. I do as you are supposed to and I check the drop sides every day. I tighten it when it is needed. Both my boys are very active with jumping and kicking etc and to date, I have not had a problem (and you should have seen my now 11 year old with it when we was a baby. I bought the exact same model as he had, I figured if he didn't do anything to break it, no one can.) I just keep checking the sides. I prefer my drop side to fixed sides for two reasons. 1, if he is sick and sleeping, I can lower the side and check on him better. 2. a friend of mine has a fixed side and the mattress all the way to the bottom and she has had to put the lower side against a wall making it very difficult to check on her little one as her little one can has climbed up the lower side and fell out of the crib. Just be careful and check the sides daily!!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• CHECK THIS OUT FOR CRIB RECALLS!! http://recalls.org/
    I think just about every drop side in the last 10 years has been recalled because of so many deaths. I wouldnt take the chance just because it is more easy to use. We put our crib on the highset mattress setting until the baby could pull itself up, then lower it to the lowest setting and use a step stool. Dont take the chance of something happeng to your child!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm short too and we purchased a convertable crib. The mattress can be set at different levels to make it easier.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2010