• In the Spotlight:

HELP! I need to find a way to get my 13mo to stop screaming!!!

Please help if you can, my 13 month old son has this high-pitched scream that he does when he either doesn't want something...or does want something and isn't getting it. Other than this, he is totally perfect! I have no other complaints at all! But this screaming has been going on for around a month now, and I am at the end of my rope! Up until now, I have just been trying to ignore it as best I can. I am trying not to give him his way because I don't want him to learn that if he screams enough, we will give in. I have 2 older boys who are 12 and 9 and they never did this!
Thanks!!

lilpunk77

Asked by lilpunk77 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Calmly tell him he won't get what he wants until he stops screaming, then ignore him until he does. As soon as he gets calm, praise him for it. I know he's little, but this worked for my screamers.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Im having the same problem! Ear peircing, isn't it??????
    cstashu

Answer by cstashu at 4:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You may think I am a little cooky for doing this, but my daughter is 14 months and did that for a while too. Ignoring it didn't do anything and neither did talking to her. The only thing I can think of is when he screams, take your hand and pat it on and off his mouth...like the Indian call you did as a kid. The different sounds he makes when you move your hand away and put it back will make him stop screaming and start laughing. It is a nice way to get him to stop screaming while keeping you calm. Eventually, after about 10 continuous times (I would guess) he should stop screaming. Trust me...the 10 times will fly by if he screams all the time like my daughter did. Now my daughter hardly ever screams! Good luck!
    Frantz415

Answer by Frantz415 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• wow, My 19 month old is doing it too. He doesn't do it just to get his way, he just does it. Sometimes with a huge smile on his face.
    My mother said it's because he has found out that he has a voice. Thats about it. When he does it, we get down to his level, look him in the eye and tell him "No screaming". He stops then, but starts back later. Each time we do the same thing. We never give in but we don't ignore either. Ignoring makes it worse and the child will learn to become more aggresive to get your attention.
    Acknowledge that he is doing it and let him no that it is not ok. I quick pat on the hand normally get their attention long enought to let them know. It's tough and sometimes I can't even talk on the phone.... But I keep at it. This child came into your world, not the other way around. You need to teach him how to act the way you would like him to. Sick with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2008