What's the best way to get cat pee smell out?

Seriously.. I'm sick of it. We have two cats.. one is a boy.. I'm taking him in to get fixed next week, and the other is an old female that's going senile I think.. they started peeing on the floor in the bathroom.. it's a wood floor and it soaked in. I NEED to get this smell out or I'm going to get rid of these cats. I tried that ''Nature's Miracle'' stuff and ''Urine Gone''.. they worked for a little while but I don't know what to do since it's wood. THANKS!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Throw out the cats! No.... seriously if it's in the wood, you're going to have to bite the bullet and refinish the wood.... sand it down, soak it through with a strong mix of lemon and tea tree oil and refinish it. ewww yuck.... sorry. That's the grossest smell ever.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• vinegar works pretty well, but you have to really saturate the area and let it sit for a ltitle bit. or at some pet stores you can buy odor neutralizer that is supposed to get rid of cat pee smell. good luck!!
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• go to the pet store.....they have products that have enzymes in them to break down that smell....we use Natures Miracle....it works well...

Queenb03

Answer by Queenb03 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Vinegar!!!!

Ok, I am a cat person and have come to find that after having 3 males... not all at once...lol
    If you take half and half vinegar and water in spray bottle, you can spray the the places where the cats pee. It also works well with cleaning the area, pour white vinegar and if it's on hard wood floors get a soft scrub brush, scrub and then rinse with water.... Be sure not to damage your floors. Vinegar will clean the areas and keep the cats from peeing/spraying in that area again. Yes it will smell like vinegar for a bit, but it goes away (the cats still smell it long after we do). But that's a much more tolerated smell than cat pee.
    Preggalious81

Answer by Preggalious81 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Vinegar, and like one other poster said you may wind up having to refinish the floor to completely get it out.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 9:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I HAD A CAT LIKE THAT ONCE AND I TRYED EVERY THANG TO GET THE SMELL OUT , I DIDNT FIND ANY THANG THAT WORKED SO I GOT TIRED OF MY CAT DIDNT USE THE DAM LITTER PAN SO I GOT RIDE OF THAT DAM CAT AND THE SMELL FINLY WENT AWAY .....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Sep. 20, 2009