Have you ever taken personal therapy? Does it work?

I have problems dealing with stress, anxiety, my temper, my looks, etc.

I don't lose my temper with my kids or anything but my poor SO gets the worst of it at times... or I direct it towards myself through self hate.

I have thought about taking therapy just for myself so that I can become a better mom and person in general.

Has anyone else here ever taken therapy?

If so, was it benefitial to you?

Do you still go?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Health

• I think counseling could definitely be benificial, but you might try to do some research and find out what the best kind of counseling for you might be. When I was in college I saw a counselor for anxiety issues. He was so helpful that I was able to start overcoming my anxiety attacks within a few sessions. Then, I switched to a new counselor when she became available just because she was a woman and I thought she would be more helpful since she could relate. Boy was I wrong! It wasn't about the gender, it was about their style. He was a cognitive-behavioral therapist who helped me identify negative or irrational beliefs and replace them with more rational ones. He also taught me how to retrain my thoughts and reactions to my anxiety attacks. The lady counselor took a more client-centered approach where she just let me talk about anything I wanted and only asked questions when I seemed to be going in circles. cont...
    Miss_cecilia

Answer by Miss_cecilia at 2:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I went a long time ago to deal with parental issues. It worked for me - I came to understand things I had not realized before and learned that I'm actually a pretty decent human being. It changed the way I think about myself and I highly recommend it to anyone who has self image problems.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• That being said, a person-centered approach might work better for you. There are also couples counseling therapists or therapists who focus on religion and faith. Whatever you choose, don't settle for the first counselor if he/she doesn't work for you. Explore your options and don't worry about hurting the counselor's feelings. They're professionals who are used to client's coming and going. I hope this helps.
    Miss_cecilia

Answer by Miss_cecilia at 2:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2010