my son is 19 months and still needs a sippy cup at nap time and bed time i just cant break it> any help

he has never had a binky and we have tryed to do it with out the cup but he just is not having it.

MommaTiana

Asked by MommaTiana at 2:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Before bed, give him the cup to drink and then put him down. If His bladder is full, he may not want the cup. I have a 19 month old as well. He never used a passy, and switching from breast to bottle and then bottle to sippy was never an issue. Some times he takes a cup to bed and sometimes he doesn't. It just depends on how thirsty he is. The water at bed time is a great idea. If ur son won't drink water, like mine, he will refuse the cup. If he takes it, then it will help keep him healthy and promote good oral care. Then walk aways and let him cry his self to sleep. It's ok, he needs to learn to self soothe. As long as theres nothing that he can hurt himself with, and if hes fed, has a full bladder, and warm, ur good. If not, trust that he will soon grow out of the sippy! They all do. There is nothing wrong if he still takes it, unless it is affecting his teeth.
    Anonymous

• Just tell him no and stand your ground. My daughter was the same way for a while but you just have to remember that eventually he will give up. The second you give in and give him the cup he knows he can break you and will throw fits until you give it up.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 3:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I give my kids a sippy of water at bedtime. I see nothing wrong with them having it, it gets hot here and they need to have something to stay hydrated, since they can sleep up to 12- 14 hours at night
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• just take it from him, you are the parent, the mommy, the adult
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I agree - YOUR the boss - I found cold turkey is the best way - also, if you have a routine before he goes down, books, brushing teeth, bath.....that will help too -
    you can try just moving to a regular cup...it will be something new to him, do it for a couple days and then just stop....
    cstashu

Answer by cstashu at 3:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• my kids were the same way. the only way i could do it was cold turkey..try not to let him see any sight of a cup and dont mention it when it's bed time. mine cried for a few days, but if you stand your ground, they'll get it and stop.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2008