When to switch to a toddler bed?

My daughter recently climbed out of a pack n play. So I know she could probably now climb out of her crib. So w/ that in mind... I gotta gate her door way and get a small side gate for the bed right? This is a serious change for us. Any ideas?

jen980

Asked by jen980 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We switched my daughter to a toddler bed around her 2nd birthday. We bought a swinging gate for her door (the kind that you just press the buttons together and it swings open rather than having to take it down every time) so she doesn't jailbreak in the middle of the night and raid the fridge. It was a tough transition but after about 2 weeks everything was fine.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 2:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Not all kids climb out. Some climb out once, get scared, and don't try again. Some turn into little monkeys.
    Some kids do fine in a bed - staying put for naps and all night. Others are little jack-in-the-boxes who stop napping entirely (playing is more fun) and who come visit you all night long... or worse, they visit the rest of the house and explore the stove, the bathroom, the kitchen cupboards, etc.

You have to evaluate your child's temperment and decide if your's is ready for a bed. If not, you need to figure out a way to keep her in her crib.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would wait until she trys to climb out of her crib. My DD climbs into her brothers crib but has yet to climb out of her own. Since she will not sleep on a bed.. I will keep her in a crib until she climbs out. My other DD was 18 mons climbing out of her crib. So we put her in a BIG bed, and she slept there without incident
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• They have those mesh tent like nets that go over the crib/pack n play to keep bugs out. They are totally safe and your child will think that she can't get 'over' it. So it may keep her from climbing out.
    Like a lid! I know it sounds harsh and I have never used one, but they are soft and harmless.
    plus if she can climb out of a pack n play, trust me when I say she will learn to climb the baby gate as well...... Your just going to have to keep an eye on her at all times and when you catch her in the middle of scaling the wall, let her know that is not ok. You will need to do it more than once so don't give up too soon. Good luck to you and your 'lil mountain climber.
    Anonymous