All moms need to read this!!!!

So now in Calcasieu Parish (Louisiana) if your child has more the 5 unexused absentes YOU have to pay 50.00 per day over the 5, or you have to do community serve!!!! How many people think this is BULL S***????

Connersmom9956

Asked by Connersmom9956 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I see where you are coming from, auto, but I kind of think the poster who said it's the parent's responsibility to get the child to school meant "get an education" (at least, that's why *I* assumed). If you choose to send your child to a public school for an education, then getting them to school is the same is getting them their education. And I don't think that "high-school aged" cuts it. Maybe 16, when they are driving to school. At that point, the parent is not going to know where they go after they hop in the car.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I don't live there, but why would your child be out of school other than an excused absence? I think that they should have something like that in my area and maybe not so many teenagers would be cutting class...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I'm guessing that that particular school district has a real problem with truancy. Make sure your kids stay in school and if they are out sick get doctors notes and you shouldn't have a problem.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 2:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Well I don't think it is fair, if there is a child that is sick but there are parents that don't think twice about keeping their kids home or  the parents that have teenagers and don't have a clue as to when their kids are need to be held accountable.  I think if a parent can show a doctor's note or whatever documentation needed, they should not have to pay the $50.00

Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 3:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• A doctor's not would make it an excused absense. The OP is referring to 5 unexcused absenses which is basically when parents just let their kids stay home for whatever reason.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 3:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I too think it is a good idea. It will make the parents actually make their kids go to school and keep an eye on what their kids are doing instead of letting them do whatever they want.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I don't have a problem with it at all. As others pointed out -- it's unexcused absenses. It's not that the child is sick or something it basically means they're skipping school. That is someting that the parent needs to deal instead of expecting someone else to deal with it. Missing school is a big deal. Plus it teaches the child that their actions affect others -- that they're choice to skip school causes problems for their family.

I get that for some parents (especially single parents) that it's hard to get their child to stay in school. They just don't have the time or the energy to deal with it and maybe their kid doesn't care what problems they cause for their family. But sill -- it is someting that the parent does need to deal with.
    Anonymous

• I guess they should keep a better eye on their kids.
    Anonymous

• So what about when a family member passes away, or you have to go out of town???
    Connersmom9956

Answer by Connersmom9956 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It isn't bull, if your child is absent because they are sick then you will not get into trouble the law is for those parents that don't give a crap whether or not their kids go to school. There are exceptions to every rule and if you have to go out of town and you have to pull the kids out of school then you need to let the school know ahead of time. They have a similiar law in Texas but instead of community service parents can be arrested.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2008