When should I start trying to get my son to stop sucking his thumb?

He's only 13 months and I don't have a problem with it at all! But is it improtant to break him from it or what?

Asked by kaylaylshfr at 8:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It can and will start to affect his teeth and he will likely need to have his teeth fixed if he continues. Unfortunately it will be hard with his thumb because you cant take it away

Answer by cougarkristi at 9:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son is 25 months and he still sucks his thumb! I would highly suggest breaking it sooner than later. Even if you have to go to a pacifier to get him to sleep do it because its easier to take it away! I dont know about you but I hate seeing 3 year olds walking around sucking on a paci or their thumb. Right now to break my son of it we constantly remind him what he is doing. Also tell him hes a big boy and only babies do that. Anyways..good luck!

Answer by Nluvwitasailor at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• you you know you need to try and stop him now.. just side track him.. he should stop

Answer by Pooobaihr at 9:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I chose to give ds a bink cuz, like other moms said, you can't take the thumb away from them when you turn around. Once my son was really comfortable with the bink for a while, I started weaning it off...Only while sleeping, then only at bedtime, then not at all...It's hard to do, but at least when you take it, it's gone!

Answer by katemama05 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• How often is he sucking? My 15 month old only sucks when he's very tired or at bedtime. I don't plan on stopping him until he's 2.

Answer by kathyjul at 9:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I heard damage to their teeth only occurs if they are sucking their thumb hard or just putting it there.
    My step daughter id it till she was five it is a comfort deal. I would say just let him do it till he stops. otherwise you can make a big deal of it and he might be more motivated to do it.
    If you re still worried ask your peditrician

Answer by fulltimemom27 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008