Give me your best tip for starting homeschooling.

My son is 4 and in the fall we want to begin a more structured (with room for flexability) curriculum but I have a 2 and1 yr old... so I need a few tips on sceduleding, ideas for the lil ones, etc.

if you want to homeschool check out CHEA, (its awesome!)

cynthiaesquivel

Asked by cynthiaesquivel at 3:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• im against homeschooling...so my best tip would be dont do it!! lol..im just kidding..sorta...lol...im only against it, because i could never do it..i dont have the patience..plus i think its important for kids to be at a school, with other kids, their age, learning the same stuff..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• thanks, yes I am a little nervous about getting started but we feel so great about it!
    cynthiaesquivel

Comment by cynthiaesquivel (original poster) at 3:37 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You will do great! Homeschooling has come a long way in the last 20 years. I've been doing a lot of research and I've read some amazing homeschool success stories!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• What is CHEA? I have to ask.....
    sherribeare

• HSLDA is a great resource!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Yes HSLDA!! CHEA is Christian Home Educators Association, just a great resource for any homschooling parent and such great networking!
    cynthiaesquivel

Comment by cynthiaesquivel (original poster) at 4:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Your 4 yr old won't need to school for several hours a day so it's not going to be as hard as it seems. At that age, we spent MAYBE 45 minutes to an hour a day on seatwork (worksheets). You'll have time in the mornings to make a good breakfast, get the kitchen clean, start a load of laundry, maybe get the younger children involved in some sort of play, before sitting down for a few minutes to work on writing letters or numbers, teaching colors, practicing writing their name, etc. Children that young still learn best through play: magnetic letters, working on puzzles, playing Candyland, coloring, cutting out magazine pictures, etc. They're still developing small motor skills & eye/hand coordination that will help with being able to hold and write with a pencil or pen. Reading to them is a GREAT teaching tool, & you can read to all of them at the same time. Go for walks with all the kids & point out various plants, bugs, etc.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Good for you! Kids that age don't require a lot of time for schooling, they still learn mostly through play. Try to involve the little ones too, especially the 2 yr old. You'll be amazed at how quickly they will pick things up!
    nikki0522

Answer by nikki0522 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it.
    cynthiaesquivel

Comment by cynthiaesquivel (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Jul. 27, 2010