My son is 8mo's old and will not crawl or sit up..Is this normal??

My son was born 4weeks premature, he is 8mo's old now and will not sit up or crawl. He wants to be held constantly!! Is this normal any personal experience or advice is very much appreciated! thanks!

LaurenHaLey

Asked by LaurenHaLey at 3:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, if you consider that he was born early, he's really not far behind. Doctors usually go by the due date, not atual birthday, when determining milestones. Second, we tend to cuddle and baby our sickly babies more. He might have just gotten used to all the extra attention he recieved when he was so small and needed more. Third, a LOT of babies around that age want to be held constantly because the develop separation anxiety. Give him some time, I'm sure he'll be fine.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 3:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• my daughter is 9 months old can sit up but hasn't been doing it for long. She will not crawl or pull herself up on anything. she isnt a premie by much she was born like 12 days early which i dont even think is being a premie but anyway. i worried but then i figured she will do it when she is ready ya know.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 3:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Crawling starts 6-9 months corrected age. I'm not sure on the range for sitting up, but I was told by the therapists that by 7 months corrected age my twins should be sitting up on their own for at least 10 minutes. It's probably something you should bring up with his pediatrician at the 9 month check up.

You can encourage him to sit up during play time. When he's laying on his back, slowly pull him up by the arms into the sitting position. Prop him up in a Boppy pillow. If he sits supported (or when he starts) you can sit him up and hold him by the waist. Then do circles with his body so that he has to adjust his legs to learn how to balance himself.

My son is the one that wants to be held all the time. It's helped to make silly faces and sing silly songs when he's on the floor. He is happy as long as he has a lot of interaction.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I was concerned that my 8 month old daughter wasn't sitting up yet, but the pedi said as long as she is active (which she is) that I shouldn't worry. When they are running all over the place, we will be wishing we had this cuddly time back :)
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My son started sitting up a little before 5 months started crawling a little after 6 months but my doctor said he's very advanced and that the average for all that is 6-9 months but your so will do it when he's ready dont rush him because whenever he gets bigger you'll be wanting him to be that tiny baby again haha. But good luck
    KBM99

Answer by KBM99 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• its normal. My full term baby did not crawl until 9 months. I held her ALL the time. Not just saying ---- I did it. So it held her back. SHe took a week maybe to crawl, and I tried to work extra hard to keep her going so she would not be too far behind when it came to walking. She walked when her sister did 14 mon.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2008