how do you deal gracefully with a mil who is giving you the cold shoulder?

cynthiaesquivel

Asked by cynthiaesquivel at 4:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Ignore it and live your life! That's what I do!!!! Don't even waste one more minute worrying about it.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm dealing with the same thing, only it's my husband who's giving me the cold shoulder. (We had a big fight a month ago.) When you find the answer, let me know!
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 4:29 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I'm a MIL and my DIL could say I give her the cold shoulder. Her behavior is erratic and I try to stay out of her way. She is the mother of my grandson and I just don't want any problems so I try and be around her as little as possible. My son agrees and he is the one that usually brings my grandson over when I watch him. He knows how unstable she is.

What you see as cold shoulder may be something else.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:13 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Try to just be nice when you see her, kill her with kindness, and don't let it bother you to much. You don't know what's going on in her head. You could try to talk to her about it, but if she is like my mil it wont do any good and may make things worse. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 6:29 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Ignore her. My mil did that to me and I ignored her. She got over it when she saw I didn't care
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 7:51 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Jump for joy that she cares enough to ignore me! My MIL is/was really controlling & manipulative so I'm the one who's guilty of giving her the cold shoulder. After 2 yrs of marriage I think she gets it & is leaving me alone! There are worse things than to be ignored or brushed off!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:54 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Kill her with kindness! Go out of your way to be friendly, sweet and nice.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• LOL I would kill her with kindness.  Whenever you are together, be sweet and kind to her at all times.  Not only will it make her look bad in front of others but it is really hard to maintain animosity toward someone who is always nice to you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• yep, I love the kill her with kindness answer...drives them crazy....and that way everybody else sees through her more quickly...when she's bitching to her friends about you, they see that she has nothing to stand on if you are always kind to her !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Confront her and clear the air, then the ball is in her court
    DessC

Answer by DessC at 10:48 AM on Jul. 25, 2010