My exclusively breastfed baby's stool consistency and odor changed a week after she started daycare!! She is 14 wks old, what does that mean??

I asked the daycare if she had accidentally received another baby's bottle. I have never smelled formula poop so I don't know how to compare

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How did it change consistency?
    Most formula poop is pretty rank and rancid. You can't mistake it.

It could be that your pumped milk has a different fat ratio than the milk from on tap. Or it could be from stress. Or a combination.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• The couple of times that my children would have formula over breast milk I noticed that their stools were really light in color and a bit more watery. I know every baby is different, but my kiddos were both this way. Are you bringing your bottles of breast milk to the daycare with her? Also, maybe if your baby hasn't had much of it from the bottle, that could be affecting it also. Because she is not exactly eating at her own pace as much as she would on the breast. I hope that the daycare is respecting your wishes on how you choose to feed your baby.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:09 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If the baby is feeling stress, this could cause a change in bowel movement smell and consistancy.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• She's new to daycare. There's a high chance of her getting sick. She could have picked up a tummy virus already. Stomach viruses can make poop running and smell rancid too. Stress from a major change can cause this too.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 11:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I would wonder if the daycare was (secretly) giving her formula or baby cereal to help keep her 'full'.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• The consistency changed to pasty, still yellowish.
    ajlarsen

Answer by ajlarsen at 3:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Sounds like they may have given her solids or formula..did you specifically say NO solids? Many daycares start solids near 4 months.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2010