If you were able to steal from money from rich people without hurting anyone in the process and without being detected, and then were to give the money to very poor people so that they could avoid starving, being sick, etc., would you do it?

Which is the most ethical choice: to leave the money with the rich people who own it or give the money to the poor people who need it to survive?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• a crime is still a crime even if no one is looking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• You're assuming that rich people don;t already do this!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:07 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• What is rich?

What is poor?

Both are subjective words.

Stealing is wrong, no matter what the reason. However, the dishonest frequently excuses for their actions.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• The government does that in the form of graduated tax rates and multiple layers of taxes.

It's wrong and only creates a sense of entitlement instead of helping promote self reliance.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 9:37 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No. Stealing is wrong, no matter who it's from.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:37 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• I know a lot of "rich" people. Meaning that they have a lot of disposable income. MOST of these people donate to various organizations. They do this because they have been on the other side of the fence as well and appreciate & have worked very hard for what they have.

***

^^^ THIS!!!

good

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Always wrong to steal so no. I wonder how many who say they would steal actually give all of their excess money to charity rather than hoard it in retirement and savings accounts? I wonder how many will give up their cable, internet and cellphones to donate to a family in need? Until they do they have no right to judge the wealthy they have no clue if they give to the poor or not.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Theft is wrong.

It's not just about the have's and the have nots'

I was robbed once, and I'm sure the person who did it was either broke or on drugs. They took my babies things first. I'm sure they thought we had money, because we lived in a nice apt and had nice things.

But the reality was, the landlord was a friend and gave me a two bedroom at five hundred a month. It was a total steal, and most of our nice things were hand me downs, that I care for lovingly.
    I never felt safe there again. We had to move.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• "Taxing rich people is the way to make sure that the poor have health care, etc."

Oh my gosh, can't believe people can be so selfish to believe this. Consider this: compare yourself to a homeless person, in doing that you become the "rich" one (we're all richer than someone else), so now because you are considered rich (because you have more than them) you want to be taxed more so that that homeless person can be "given" something for free? Is that what you want, because that is what you are saying by taxing the "rich" people! Give me a break. It's nobody's responsibility to decide when I am "too rich" and that I need to be taxed more and give that to someone else who has not earned it. BTW, I have no health insurance, my husband is still unemployed (w/ no unemployment benefits) and I work part-time (5-10 hrs/wk) , so I am not a rich person trying to hang on to my money.
    michellelvs4

Answer by michellelvs4 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Stealing is ALWAYS wrong. There is NEVER a way to justify taking something that doesn't belong to you.

Would someone please provide some links for "homeless children that have died in the streets because they needed a lifesaving procedure." Links here in the US.

LOL Delilah. You sit on your behind in your govt provided home, eating your govt provided food and approve of stealing from those whose money provides for you! It is very easy to say what you would do if you had more, that is often the way with those on the govt teat. Why don't you get a job and put your money where your mouth is?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2010