Is this even legal?

I took my son to 2 dentist appointments so far. The Dental Hygenist could not get him in the chair either time, but they still charged my insurance! If I didn't have insurance, I would have had to shell out $165 for NOTHING! Can they do this? I can understand them charging like $25 for their time, like if you missed an appointment, but can they charge for a cleaning that wasn't even done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd find a new dentist, sounds like this one's not very understanding about kids. Pediatric dentist is a great recommendation, it may be more of a pain for you cuz you can't go together but it'll make it better for him. The free toothbrush thing is BS! Everybody gets a free toothbrush!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• They can not charge you for specific items like teeth cleaning, but if the base amount of money for an appointment is $165, then yes they can charge that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• they still spent time trying to do their job, the employees still need to get paid. But yes, I'm pretty sure that they cannot actually charge you for something that was not even done. If it were me, I'd call the BBB
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• i would call my insurance comp and see if they can do it i think thats crazy and they should not of charged for somthing they did not do did they offer to make a different appt for you since it was not done
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• No, I would call the insurance company and let them know. If it's their fault that your son wasn't seen then nothing should have been charged, I would go talk to the dentist about it and see what is going on cause that is BS.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Poor thing! Yeah, the can, they should though.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• If I tell the insurance company, then they will refuse to pay, and I will have to shell out all that money, which I don't have. They charged the same amount for his appointment that they did for mine. I got the cleaning, he did not. They were the ones who reccommended starting at 3.5years, but I'm sure my son is not the first one to refuse to sit in the chair. He didn't even get a free toothbrush!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 9:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• As was mentioned above, they still put time in trying to work on the child. If they didn't really clean the teeth, it doesn't seem right that they'd bill the insurance for cleaning, though. I'd say an examination, maybe, would be more fair billing, but that would run maybe $165 for two appointments.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• Try taking him to a pediatric dentist. You should really take your child to a dentist as soon as they get teeth, but most general dentist have a hard time with this. Pediatric dentish specialize in very young children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• That sounds crazy. Yes the office visit fee I can understand, but if it clearly shows on your statement that you were charged for a cleaning I would def call your insurance company and inform them what happened. I am sure they would like to know that you are BOTH being charged for a service that was never performed.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 25, 2010